StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I currently own a KLR but am looking to get another bike for more two up riding. I want something that can go off road as well.

So my question is Vstrom 1000 vs. 1200 GS (non-adventure model) which would handle off road better and why? I have ridden many GS models and like them alot other than the price tag. How much off roading can you do with a Vstrom?

Does anyone have photos of their Vstrom with knobby tires, dunlop 606's or something similar?

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
Depends

Do you mean off-pavement, or off-road, as in real dirt riding? The Vee does well on gravel and dirt roads. For real dirt riding it is too heavy, too tall, and too powerful. Ground clearance is marginal. After riding motocrossers for many years, I find the Vee to be an absolute pig in real dirt riding. In my opinion, any bike that weights over 300 pounds is going to be a handfull on dirt. By real dirt riding I mean going up and down steep hills on narrow trails through trees, over very rough ground, requiring having at least one tire off the ground for a significant portion of the time. I've ridden the Vee on dirt cow trails, and it is OK at that, so long as the terrain doesn't get too challenging. I've never ridden one of the big GS's, but I've read that they are equally inept in real dirt riding for most of the same reasons. A KLR or DR would leave either bike in the dust in very short order. Not to say that some folks don't manage to take them into some surprising places. But they have far more talent and muscle than I do. At the very least, you'd need to compromise road capability by mounting full knobbies. I can't imagine crashing a 450 pound bike in the dirt. You'd probably need help just to stand it back up.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Keep the KLR, it's like a Jeep with a 6" lift and mudders.

The V-Strom is like a Subaru.

If you have a lot of upper body strength, abs of steel and great drit bike skills, riding single track on a V-Strom you might keep up with a DR200 ridden by someone's grandma.

Then after you enlist grandma to help you lift the bike's 450 lb. shattered hulk out of the mud on the steep single-track, you can paint the busted-up fairing in black pickup truck bedliner.

On the other hand, when you're out exploring the world with your sport-touring buddies and you encounter a gravel road, as they double-back on their ST1300's and Concourses, you can blast down the gravel straights at 65 mph be waiting for them with a big-ass grin.

I ride with folks on GS's and V-Stroms of both flavors, the KTMs and KLR's eat our lunch on the gravel and we avoid the "dirt" altogether. I think the KLR and DL1000 compliment each other nicely.

For the price of the GS you can get the DL1000 and a little trail bike for your S.O. and have money left over for luggage, GPS, tall windsheild, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts