StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 Wee has just under 19000 miles on it. So I got to thinking, I better check my front brake pads, since I do most of my braking with the front brakes. Made a flashlight check and OMG! Looks like they're about down to the metal. So, I called my local Suzuki dealer and ordered up a complete set for $99.00. Am told they will be in this coming Friday. Cancel ride tomorrow and opt for going to grandson's 6th birthday party. Then I got to thinking, I better do a better check, so I went in the garage and pulled the calipers off and lo and behold! they're nowhere near needing to be replaced. Called Suzuki shop and cancelled order. Duh. Moral of the story is, when you check, make it a thorough one. Could save money and heartburn. Duh!! Happy I don't have to spend that $99.00 needlessly.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
My Wee's at 25K miles now. Original pads all around. We have Virginia State Inspection which can or cannot be meaningful (especially for bikes). Regardless, I've generally trusted the inspector (doesn't sound so smart now that I write it) and have a general belief that worn-out pads will somehow let me know in time to prevent rotor damage - or me damage. :yesnod:

I wonder what the typical mileage is for real need of change of pads. Front and rear...

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Depends on riding style. I ride away from traffic so my braking is minimal and for scrubbing off speed. I use both my rear and front brakes. I got 50,000 miles on rear pads and around 70,000 on fronts. At 100,000 my disc thickness was still above minimum spec. The strom is blessed with durable brakes.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Thanks Scott. Was just wondering...

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Va. state inspection caught my rear pads being thin back in June at 22,000 miles. Replaced them with EBC sintered. I guess it's the old man in me that uses the rear brake a lot.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There is no warning on minimum pad thickness, unlike most cars that have electronic or squeal steel monitoring. Get a mirror and a flashlight.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no warning on minimum pad thickness, unlike most cars that have electronic or squeal steel monitoring. Get a mirror and a flashlight.
Pretty much that was how I first checked out the pads' thickness, but for some reason I decided that a better inspection would be to just remove the calipers from the rotors. I was happy with what I saw. It was simple and easy, and only took a few minutes longer than the flashlight inspection. I didn't use a mirror, however.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
When changing tires I've always just had the tire change in mind, but it seems this might be a good time to get a good look at the brake pads. Is this true? Guess I've always just assumed the pads are mostly "embedded" in the caliper (difficult to determine how much pad is left under any circumstances...). I've never even glanced at them when doing a tire change but I have one coming up soon (rear) and I think I'll take a good look then.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My rear is worn out at 80,000 km. I was changing them all as I had a fork leak and one side soaked. I have been riding a lot of gravel roads in the last 2 years and so have been using the rear brake more. I don't believe I have ever worn out a rear brake pad before.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, it's an easy and quick check. When you remove the brake calipers while preparing to remove the front wheel, you can easily see the brake pads, and all it takes is a glance. Even if you push the pistons as far back inside the caliper, the pads are still visible.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
No, it's an easy and quick check. When you remove the brake calipers while preparing to remove the front wheel, you can easily see the brake pads, and all it takes is a glance. Even if you push the pistons as far back inside the caliper, the pads are still visible.
Thanks for replying and thanks for the information.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts