StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a question about this bike feeling like the back and is wagging a little under hard braking. My previous, and first, bike was a 700lb cruiser and I never experienced this. Could this be happening because of the slick pavement out here in Las Vegas or is this a trait of a more sport oriented bike. The few times I have noticed this the rear tire was not locked up, per observation of the other riders I was with. The front of the bike feels planted but it is the rear tire that makes me ask this question.

Thanks

DESTRO
DL1000K6

·
Registered
662 Posts
too much rear brake. I've done that in a hard braking situation (oh s*&t, the light's red) Don't be afraid of the front. You have a lot more stopping power there. Practice your emergency braking in a parking lot.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I'd try turning up the front preload. That will keep the front from diving too much on a hard stop, therefore keeping the bike more level and more weight on the rear wheel.

No matter what you do these bikes have a tendency to get light in the rear on a hard brake. I've locked my rear wheel up a couple times on quick stops(painted lines suck). The first time it happened I didn't realize it until I let off the brakes and rear end kicked over a few inches as the bike staightened out. Scared the crap out of me. The skidding tire made no noise at all:shock: .

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I am not afraid of the front brake and maybe a front preload adjust is what I need.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
As long as the tail doesn't wag the dog, you're alright.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The rear tire can be slipping and therefore "wagging" without being locked. Since there is little weight on the rear during hard braking there is little holding it in place. If you watch motorcycle races you can see them slide the rear tire into corners without locking the rear tire. The same idea is what is happening.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd try turning up the front preload. That will keep the front from diving too much on a hard stop, therefore keeping the bike more level and more weight on the rear wheel.
spongebob,

You get a gold star for the day! I took all of the advice here, practicing stops, using more front brake and things still did not feel that great. Then I cranked the preload up to one from the hardest and the bike rides so much better. Even with a little more of a active ride it is a definite improvement. Without all of the dive in the front end, while braking, I really get a lot of good feedback from the brakes and this gives me a lot more confidence to really grab a handfull. It was the feedback that was missing with the front end being too soft. I could just not get a fell for how much brake I was applying.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
spongebob,

You get a gold star for the day! I took all of the advice here, practicing stops, using more front brake and things still did not feel that great. Then I cranked the preload up to one from the hardest and the bike rides so much better. Even with a little more of a active ride it is a definite improvement. Without all of the dive in the front end, while braking, I really get a lot of good feedback from the brakes and this gives me a lot more confidence to really grab a handfull. It was the feedback that was missing with the front end being too soft. I could just not get a fell for how much brake I was applying.

Thanks!

Good deal. Now you just have to fine tune it so you still have good brake feel without the front end slamming over bumps.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Changing the preload will only change the ride height. It won't make the suspension harsher.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
unless you are dirt riding, it is a sure sign you aren't using your front brake hard enough. when you are doing a hard stop your rear brake should be virtually worthless ... which means no fishtailing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts