StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not make it to TOD this year :(

However I was checking the conditions of tailofthedragon.com.
The website makes it sound like the cops shutdown the dragon this year.

Anyone experience any of this?

Is it just too big of a hassle now?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Yeah, the locals apparently got tired of all the race track activity and started complaining. Police presence was very heavy for the past few months from what I've read. Also from what I've read the police have been stopping people for very minor infractions, virtually any reason that they could manufacture. I was only there once in June and didn't observe any of it myself, but that's what I've heard. I think it's easing off some now, but haven't been back since June.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We went through it twice back in late October. On a Friday, and again on Sunday. On Friday, we saw only one county cop hanging out at the store, but on Sunday, there was a speed trap by 2 TN state troopers. One guy who had passed me earlier was pulled over there (I was glad I let him go :p) My buddies and I got through untouched. ;)

In summary, I think during the week the enforcement wasn't as strong as on Saturdays and Sundays. The Killboy.com website said this week that the Dragon was virtually vacant.

I think in general, as long as you're not making bad passes or overdoing it on the straightaways, they'll leave you alone.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Give it time to die down then this spring it should be a place to go again. Go early before all the wanna be racer's get there to mess it up again and get the police out there.

Now that is coming from a cop.................yes, I am in law enforcement. But I hate when we over exaggerate a issue. The TOD usually takes care of the stupid wanna be's in the form of a bad wreck that either maims or kills the dumb ass. I call it Darwin's Theory At Work!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I rode up there last week. Rode both of those roads both Wednesday and Thursday. Weather was a little brisk in the AM but it was glorious. I was about the only rider out there and zero COPS that I recall.

If you have some decent gear mid 30's is not really a problem. It was beautiful. I think I'm doing that early November next year too.

http://imageevent.com/rodk/vacation

Or
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Back in september I counted 13 LEO's on a saturday....they stopped me just to see if I had insurance. I was a nightmare for a couple of weeks. Went last weekend and didn't see any. Guess they be Hibernating.

·
Registered
338 Posts
A little extra info

The store closes this time of year so the tourons (touring morons) are gone so you can expect the traffic enforcement to be less as well. For a few months they covered it like a blanket....

to be honest however, this is the best time of year to ride up here anyway...

Coop

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
The store closes this time of year so the tourons (touring morons) are gone so you can expect the traffic enforcement to be less as well. For a few months they covered it like a blanket....

to be honest however, this is the best time of year to ride up here anyway...

Coop

Don't tell that to just anyone, Coop. I loved my trip up there first week of November. The store was actually open. I plan to do the same next year. It was awesome.

What a wonderful piece of the world you folks have up there. It's great to have it to myself a couple days.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
123 Posts
Awesome part of the Country

My best friend was born and raised in Knoxville, so he and his Dad know some really nice roads up there. We rode up for the 2007 Honda Hoot from Mississippi this past june; 129 in Northern Georgia is also some beautiful riding, like the dragon with no traffic. When we went through Deal's Gap, on the tuesday of the Hoot Week, it was pretty darn quiet up through the Foothills Parkway (did I get that right?) That entire area is a treasure trove of riding, wish we could have done the Cumberland Gap ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Was up there twice this past fall and got nailed my second trip. I will concur that the TSP are doing their level best to totally screw up a nice area. I agree that some over sight is neccessary however it looks alot like profiling to me. Best of luck if you decide to go but remember, do your shopping and spending of greenbacks inn NC.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I live near Deals gap, and ride it when we have nothing else to do.

Methinks TSP are trying to cut down the number of victims.

When riding Cherohola in cold weather, beware the black ice on the sides of the road protected from the sun.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm up there quite a bit. Yes THP has been overdoing it a bit ( from another leo's observations) but like others have said it will die down. They had their little show and now they're gone. Blount County S.O. stops in from time to time but they're good fellas and will only stop those who really deserve it.

I'm also one of those "racer wanna be's" as some have said. I can say that the locals will be out playing, usually early and late so as to miss the hectic part of the day. It's not the locals on sportbikes you have to worry about. Most accidents I've been a witness to or rolled up on seem to be caused by those from out of town trying to ride above their ability, whether it be a young kid on a sportbike who has no business there or the mid life crisis, I've never ridden or rode 20 years ago, bought the biggest crusier I could find crowd. Actually it's the cruisers that I see cross the double yellow more than sportbikes, DS's, and adventure bikes. Alot of the cruiser riders will not look through the turn but rather right in front of their tire and turn a perfectly smooth corner into a myriagon. For anyone coming to the area just ride your own ride. Let the faster riders and drivers pass. Don't try to keep up with the locals. Enjoy your time in our little part of motorcycle heaven.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Dragon Dangers

I was with a relative picking up a rental Harley in Maggie Valley.

A young couple from Florida loading up a rental HD Electra Glide asked me the direction to the Dragon. They dropped the bike pulling out of the rental shop.

I heard they made it back alive.

Perhaps the police have been doing their job.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Local Breakfast

Hey all you local guys,if your interested in a V-strom morning breakfast start a thread make a phone list. Sat or Sun. morning at Bob's Mountaineer in Seymour. Great local backroads for short ones or we can plan other trips. I am an ex-beemer guy, well ex-almost everything except Ducati, and I miss the Breakfast club I attended in New Hope PA. 10-20 of us hardcores any weather all year

My email [email protected]
cell 865-579-0053

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hey all you local guys,if your interested in a V-strom morning breakfast start a thread make a phone list. Sat or Sun. morning at Bob's Mountaineer in Seymour. Great local backroads for short ones or we can plan other trips. I am an ex-beemer guy, well ex-almost everything except Ducati, and I miss the Breakfast club I attended in New Hope PA. 10-20 of us hardcores any weather all year

My email [email protected]
cell 865-579-0053

Cold does not bother me too much but I don't ride in rain or snow. Too many variables then that leads to playing a harp!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like a great idea.....I'm only about 10 miles from Bob's....Wouldn't be able to do it this weekend, but if the weather holds out next weekend would be okay. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
180 Posts
The TOD usually takes care of the stupid wanna be's in the form of a bad wreck that either maims or kills the dumb ass. I call it Darwin's Theory At Work!
I love it!!!!! Natural Selection at it's best! Darwin was right after all!:devil_16:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would be curious to know the number of fatalities and accidents for this year, I'll bet it's quite low for the volume of traffic. I ride through The Gap and Cherohola a little bit, well probably 30 trips this year, mostly Thursday and Fridays and see very little law enforcement, and those I do are usually on the Tenn. side.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I'm not defending the cops, because some of them are pricks, but keep in mind they are trying to save lives. It isn't fun pulling dead people up the side of the mountain so they can be hauled out of there.

R

·
0 Posts
Breakfast club

I like this idea of a breakfast club. I live on the SC line and only have had a motorcycle since NOV. (Was in the Army and stationed @ Fort Bragg and had a crotch rocket while there) yea it maybe a midlife crisis thing or a actually it is a fuel crisis thing but anyway I have never actually went thru the gap. Would love to have an excuse to head up that way. Breakfast club, lets give it a try. I work 2 out of 4 weekends and dont ride on Sun so Sat would be my choice.

RR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts