StromTrooper banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Been a lot of these places and feel our lower size but still tall hills are better than the rockies. Said to be oldest chain in the world. Love Colorado and followed the rockies all the way to DeadHorse .While they are a nice site at so many places the bare rock tops and cold are not as nice to me as our tree top ones.All good just like ours better . Being a born and raised in Kain tuck iee hillbilly may have a little to do with it?.>:)
Plus, I like oxygen!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes the thin air. Had never had that happen untill our 015 Colorado trip.Did Pikes Peak fine but at Evans the tallest place with a road in the state is what was on signs.As we pulled in to the parking lot at top started feeling a little odd? Then got off and had to sit down. Got up ,got a bottle of water out of bike ,sat back down and drink about half and was good in about five minutes. Was 69 and sure not first time in high places but first and only time it ever hit me. Not a nice thing but did what I had heard worked and did.
Wind was so strong on Evans it blew one of the Vstrom's over on right side! They lean so far to left on the side stand would never have though it would happen.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Let me know if you want to hook up and we'll ride one of my favorite loops.
Sorry it took some time to reply, i wasn't home and i forgot that since the update none of my portables can access this forum (to be fixed today).

I'm definitely always up to meet trooper members!

Also, i added the other roads to the list :smile2:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Allrighty, booked the room at Tuskeegee (nice lady at the phone).

Almost everything is packed, now to find the motel 6 i stayed at last time...

Booked Friday and Saturday, cause there's gonna be rain on monday.

Bit nervous/anxious, not gonna lie :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep , the hurricanes are gonna send us some rain . My daughter lives in N. Florida and she says the stores have all sold out of water and toilet paper.....happens every time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tuskegee is a hole in the wall, but a great place to stay. Super friendly owners. Clean rooms. Wifi & DishTV. Great location away from the madness. Robbinsville is a 10-15 minute ride for a few restaurants and the Stecoah Diner is maybe 5 minutes south.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm going to be passing thru this area on my way down south from Boston (last week of September, barring any more hurricanes then). So I'm thankful for all the tips. But, I'd like to do a lot of dirt as well. Anyone have knowledge of some good dirt routes running in the same general direction?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I was just there this past weekend and rode the tail as well a the Blue Ridge and "Moonshiner 28." It wa smy first tiem up there. In addition to those the Cherohala Skyway, Road to Nowhere, Devil's Triangle, and six gap. Also, there is a small section of the Unicoi Turnpike north of Helen that is a freaking blast.

We stayed at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort. It was super basic but it was cheap, gave me what I needed and was right there. Personally when I go back I want to stay at the Tapoco Lodge. It is just 2 miles form the ToTD. We got food/drinks there (also highly recommend) and it was super nice. Forewarning, internet/wifi/cell reception isn't a thing up there. It was practically impossible to get a signal so just a heads up if you are big on updating social media or talking to family while you travel

Bryce is a nice city and you should stop there (Get lunch at the Filling Station). We also stopped into Maggie Valley and went to Wheels Through Time. That museum is super cool and unique.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yep , the hurricanes are gonna send us some rain . My daughter lives in N. Florida and she says the stores have all sold out of water and toilet paper.....happens every time.
Yep, i'm leaving sunday to avoid the rain :p

Dragon tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Came back yesterday night...

Thanks again for the suggestions, the motel was interesting to say the least. Roads were awesome (i have tons of footage i need to check). I did the Dragon 7 times in all, the Moonshiner twice, zipped on the Cherohala skyway and enjoyed a few smaller streets around.

Met a member at the 'Gap with his S10, pretty sure it was wera688? Sorry bad memory!

Everyone i spoke to was nice and helpful, as usual :)

Wish i could have stayed longer, there's plenty to ride in the area still.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts