StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like it's gonna be a sunny time on my off days in september at Deals Gap NC!

I know i want to do the 129 and some of the BRP/skyline. But when i talk about it, i hear/read about better roads, lesser known places...

So far i'm thinking about staying in Bryson city (but is that too far?), where rooms are easier found at reasonable rates.

Seeking suggestions from people in the know, about hidden gems i just must experience, maybe a different town to optimize my stay?

Thanks!
:grin2:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ride the gap mid week and evenings. Too many couch cruiser during the day and weekends. There is a nice waterfall off the skyway, can't remember the name, closer to tellico plains. Check that out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's all good here. Bryson City is fine and it's convenient to Cherokee and the BRP and the Dragon and the Cherohalla . Ride the Dragon early on a week day to avoid the kids practicing "drifting" in their daddy's Accord. Ride the Cherohalla any time. Ride south on 68 out of Tellico Plains for more ridiculous curves. Ride 28 from 64 down to Franklin,N.C. for crazy curves in bunches . Ride Happy Valley for curves so tight you can shake hands with yourself. Ride The Foothills Parkway for peaceful . gentle curves with outstanding views. River Road from Townsend to Sugarlands is awesome. But wait ! There's MORE !

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ride the gap mid week and evenings. Too many couch cruiser during the day and weekends. There is a nice waterfall off the skyway, can't remember the name, closer to tellico plains. Check that out.
That's the Bald River Falls off the Cherohalla. Nice long slow ride to get there along the Bald River.

·
Registered
357 Posts
And 68 up to Highlands goes past a waterfall you can walk behind. And then Bridal Vail . Previously you could drive behind it but a monster boulder stopped that.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There's more here ....and lots more in North Georgia. Ive got a big map that shows all the m/c roads ...all the good restaurants ...all the good campgrounds and m/c friendly motels. The "Sidewinder" North and east of Knoxville is outstanding. Devils Triangle west and north of Oakridge has curves on a par with the Dragon and much less traffic. Wet here today . Tomorrow and Monday are supposed to be excellent. I have talked myself into some riding !!!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a feeling imma need to install my 4 hour battery on the gopro and buy a new memory card this year.

I love it.

Gonna swing by the CAA for maps, so i can highlight these roads and start planning :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Look at your map/gps etc. and you are not far from Maggie Valley and.. Wheels Thru Time..museum.If you like old motorcycles even a little bit this is a must see. Not large like Barber but not small like Red Bolling Springs. I like all three of these. Dale the owner of W.T.T. has been on TV a lot and a good host at his place.Look it up on the net. Do not miss this place if at all close. Even if you don't go in the large gift shop and lots of cool stuff out side and under the big porch are worth the stop.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Null 13, click on the Rally link below and under Maps you'll find some more suggestions.

Two of my favorites are Warwoman out of Clayton, GA and Wayah Road, near Franklin, NC.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
501 Posts
What Eddie said - I've ridden all of those roads and they are as good as it gets.

It's all good here. Bryson City is fine and it's convenient to Cherokee and the BRP and the Dragon and the Cherohalla . Ride the Dragon early on a week day to avoid the kids practicing "drifting" in their daddy's Accord. Ride the Cherohalla any time. Ride south on 68 out of Tellico Plains for more ridiculous curves. Ride 28 from 64 down to Franklin,N.C. for crazy curves in bunches . Ride Happy Valley for curves so tight you can shake hands with yourself. Ride The Foothills Parkway for peaceful . gentle curves with outstanding views. River Road from Townsend to Sugarlands is awesome. But wait ! There's MORE !
And 68 up to Highlands goes past a waterfall you can walk behind. And then Bridal Vail . Previously you could drive behind it but a monster boulder stopped that.
Plus, if you are dead set on staying in Bryson City so be it. Personally I would stay at the Iron Horse Lodge.

Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge | 828-479-3864 Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Taking notes, loving this thread :)

When are you coming down?
I'm off sept 6-12, i'd like to arrive on the 7th or 8th, things are looking awfully good weather-wise!

Plus, if you are dead set on staying in Bryson City so be it. Personally I would stay at the Iron Horse Lodge.
Not dead set really. Just seems like nicer rooms are cheaper there.

I stayed at IH last year, but would like to avoid camping if i can. I might bring my camping gear just in case though, for i am way better prepared now than i was then :p The staff was ridiculously nice!

·
Registered
357 Posts
The Tuskeegee Motel is a few miles north of the Iron Horse . It's an older Mom and Pop style 1 story motel. Park your bike at your front door. My favorite type of motel. Friends have stayed there and really liked it. They have a website. If you have something picked out in Bryson City go for it. I like Bryson and it has good restaurants and fairly centrally located.
Yes, the weather forecast is good for those dates but the Smokey's are famous for instant weather change . Early morning fog is pretty common here along with early morning deer for a little added excitement.
Let me know if you want to hook up and we'll ride one of my favorite loops.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Been a lot of these places and feel our lower size but still tall hills are better than the rockies. Said to be oldest chain in the world. Love Colorado and followed the rockies all the way to DeadHorse .While they are a nice site at so many places the bare rock tops and cold are not as nice to me as our tree top ones.All good just like ours better . Being a born and raised in Kain tuck iee hillbilly may have a little to do with it?.>:)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I lived in Utah at one time. Great camping . Great road and off-road riding. Very "open" feeling , but very dusty. I loved dual sport and the desert rides . And riding all the "passes" in Colorado . I love it there AND here. I love Kentucky too. Lots of our rides ease over into Kentucky. I grew up in Florida. Hill climbing was riding up the I-95 overpass embankment. And we rode enduros in Florida and Georgia. Gotta find the fun stuff no matter where you are.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Since you will be coming from the north, there's also:

Back of the Dragon - VA 16, from Tazewell VA to Marion VA.

The Python - US 58, from Damascus VA to Volney VA.

The Snake - US 421, from Bristol TN to Mountain City TN.

Plus, there is the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

And no bad roads in West Virginia.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts