StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 DL 1000
How does the tail light come off so I can replace the bulbs?

·
Registered
572 Posts
If it is like the dl650 you first remove the seat. then reach in and follow the wires 1 at a time until you come to where they go into a bulb socket that screws into the tail light assy. turn the socket approximately 1/4 turn counter clockwise and pull it forward and out of the tail light assy. pull it toward you until you can see the old bulb. remove and replace with the LED bulb. replace the bulb socket into the hole it came out of and turn 1/4 turn clockwise. do both bulb sockets and put seat back on.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
When I first saw the OP I went to the garage and checked the back of my 05. I couldn't get the device to turn at all. It felt as though there should be some turning butd no go with my old weak fingers.
I do remember taking the rear fender off at some point.
One would think that it would be a simple turn of the holder.
Maybe I'll refill my wine glass and give another go.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The socket will be stiff to turn, it has been sitting for years. I put LED's in my tail/brake lights to go along with the LED headlights. Love the LED headlights!!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
For a diagram of the rear light fitting, https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/suz/508afc6ff870023530722fa2/tail-lamp-model-k4-k5-k6.
If you have time and can't get a good grip to turn the bulb, then maybe you can go the long route. Take off the seat. Take off the luggage rack. Remove the two bolts at the back sides of the fender. Disconnect the seat lock cable (don't put the seat back on until the seat lock cable is re-connected). Spread the sides of the fender to clear the raised parts of the frame around the bolt holes and lift the fender away. Disconnect the wiring harness.
You may want to read https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,1056.0.html (LED Rearlights Installation),

·
Administrator
5,545 Posts
The socket will be stiff to turn, it has been sitting for years. I put LED's in my tail/brake lights to go along with the LED headlights. Love the LED headlights!!
Just curious. Did you put red or white LED's in the tail/brake lights?
I agree with the LED headlights - brighter, better spread and none of the "textured" beam of the OEM halogens. And they do not grey out with age. The very early LED's created scatter but the LED industry seems to upgrade itself and introduce an improved product almost yearly.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I put in white led tail/brake lights. I was told that if you have clear lenses you use red led's. and that red leds behind red lenses won't put out as much light as white leds behind red lenses. I don't know about that for an empirical fact but it sounded good. they do put out plenty of light. If someone is having trouble getting their tail light socket removed and reinstalled they could have a mechanic do it. my headlights put out so much light that I am going to lower them just a little bit. and they are not the most powerful ones you can get.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
"The socket will be stiff to turn, it has been sitting for years."
Yup, Put on a glove and gave the sucker a twist and it came undone. Amazing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts