StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I installed an AdMore Lighting kit to my top case, I found out that the wiring harness configuration for the DL1000A is very different than the DL650 and from what I have read, the legacy DL1000. After figuring it out, I thought I'd post what I found to work for me, in case anyone else needs this info and also lacks a service manual and schematic:

Looking at the taillight wiring, you'll see that the major difference is that there are three groups of wiring leading back to the tail, two groups have a connector that is easily accessed, while the other group basically runs straight through. The two groups with connectors use different styles - one is a 4-lead square-type connector and the other is an oval/round two-pin connector. Decoupling the connectors reveals that the group using the 4-lead square connector controls the taillights, while the two-lead round connector serves some other purpose entirely. Ergo, the straight-through wire group is your taillight and brake light.

Since all wire groups have a Black/White wire, it's easy to guess those are the ground wires, and this matches wire color coding on previous-year DL's I believe.

So here's what I came up with that worked for me:

Straight-Through wiring group:
White/Black.....Brake light
Black/White.....Ground
Brown.............Tail light hot

Square 4-pin connector- turn signals do not function when disconnected, brake and tail light works:
(one wire transitions to different color coding on other side of connector)

Connector "In" (from center of bike):....Connector "Out" (toward tail light):
Black .............................................Black.......................................Left turn signal
Black/White.....................................Black/White...............................Ground
Brown.............................................Grey.......................................Tail light hot?
Light Green......................................Light Green...............................Right turn signal

Round 2-pin connector - tail light, brake light, and turn signals still function when disconnected:
Black/White.......Ground
White...............???

I have a spare Eastern Beaver taillight wiring adapter for my Wee that I was hoping might work on this bike but the different arrangement rules it out, bummer.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Except for the white wire, those are the same colors as other models use though the connectors are different.

·
Registered
888 Posts
So does the white wire power the number plate light?
If not, where does it go? If you follow where it is routed to?

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Hello owners of the new DL1000A. I now have new tail/brake and signal adapters. Connectors are different now so there's two new adapters for this bike. I'll be putting them online later today.

Also available will be spare connectors to plug in your aftermarket signals.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello owners of the new DL1000A. I now have new tail/brake and signal adapters. Connectors are different now so there's two new adapters for this bike. I'll be putting them online later today.

Also available will be spare connectors to plug in your aftermarket signals.
Outstanding! Just what I was hoping for, I don't like poking holes in stock wiring with the posi-taps. URL Link is...?

If I were to redo my Admore turn/brake signal wiring properly with an EB adapter(s), anyone have ideas on what should/could be done about holes in the wiring insulation that are left after removal of posi-taps? Leave 'em and smear a little dialectric grease on 'em to fill the pits and avoid corrosion down the road?

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
38,103 Posts
Thanks! I have some sitting in a cabinet in my garage and just keep forgetting it's there!
Foget it for a few years after initial use and it may not be liquid any more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any advice on why the set up in the attached pic is not working? Its a BackOff XP and Eastern Beaver adapter? Is the wire mapping correct?

BackOff/Adapter
Red to Red
Black to Black
White/red stripe to Purple
Adapter Blue has a posilock on it just to protect the wire

I plugged in the adapter and only get running light, then i connected Red to Purple on the adapter and I get running and brake lights, which is why i thought that same configuration should work with the BackOff. I assume Blue wire is my low-intensity wire and is just a pass through?

Anyway, Signal Dynamics recommended bench testing the BackOff XP unit, so I guess I'll try to rig that up.

Thanks, TRM in SA

Attachments

·
38,103 Posts
For those of us who don't have a BackOff, what is it supposed to connect to by name?

Ground -
Brake light hot -
tail/license light hot -

·
Registered
62 Posts
The BackOff connects to the tail light, brake light, and ground and provides a modulator to the brake lights with 2 configurations. I'm using the Eastern Beaver Tail Light Module V2 as a way to avoid cutting into the 3pin connector:
(White/Black.....Brake light
Black/White.....Ground
Brown.............Tail light hot) for the tail light module.

I bench tested the BackOff XP (compatible with LED lights, and the correct model according to the manufacturer, Signal Dynamics) and connected to a 12v battery and a motorcycle horn i get noise in the correct modulated pattern, so I guess its working?

Then I put the adapter in and connected the red wire to the purple wire (in the attached pic) and I get brake lights/tail light. So I guess its working?

I was using PosiLock's but just for fun I switched to crimp on connectors, same result. So I guess my connections are good?

Now why in the heck don't they work together???

Thanks, TRM in SA

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Guys

I'm doing my best to figure this out prior to buying kits and have searched for this answer, but still a little confused. I'll be adding the PC8 soon and I have a switching wire question. I could simply tap in to the hot switched line at the tail light, but wanted an adaptor kit instead. I am looking at the EB adaptor for the 14 Vstrom, but the wording on the part confused me.

It said the 3P connects right to the tail assy, which I get, but the other 4P connects to signals, etc. I guess what I "thought" I was looking for was a connector assy that simply interrupted the 3P into the tail light assy and gave the stock wire take off.

What am I missing here? Ultimately I was trying not to tap or cut in to the stock harness.

Thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
38,103 Posts
If all you want is a trigger for a relay to switch the PC8 on with the ignition, it appears you can use either. The tail light wire on one adapter or the license light wire on the other will go on with the ignition. The adapters are really for things like additional rear lights.

If the Vee2 has the same connectors off the rear brake light switch as other models, you can just get the PC8 with the installation kit. VStrom

I don't know whether it does or not though.

·
Registered
525 Posts
ok so i got the pc8 with the relay kit
it does not fit the connectors in the rear area ,i talked to jim from EB and he told me to look under the back of the gas tank for the connector that would fit but he is not sure if it changed here is his email:

"Alon, did you look for the connector under the rear of the fuel tank? It might
be relocated slightly, Follow the wires from the rear brake switch up and there
should be a connector.

I have not heard of a change in this connector and it's very important to me to
know what connector the new bike uses on the rear brake switch wires.

If you find the connector and it's different, please take some pics. I really
appreciate your help as I don't have the bike here."

will look for it today (unless some one know and found it before and can upload a pic )

·
38,103 Posts
Here's the cable Jim at EB has. It's for the 14, but it looks like it has two different sized connectors.
That's a male and a female half of the same connector and it fits near the tail light.

Trace the wiring from the rear brake switch up to find the connector used on other Stroms to trigger the PC8 to see if it fits. It's under the rear tank support on other models.

·
Registered
525 Posts
`yes thats not the one that comes with the kit
also,he told me that the connector you showed is not for the pc8

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
38,103 Posts
So the Eastern Beaver PC8 kit should work on the Vee2 also.

·
Registered
525 Posts
well found the connector hooked up the pc8

pics in the link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k4e07107crb9y54/AABrzH6_aqCHatIqj8biD_G0a?dl=0

pics are in that folder , the connector is under the rubber protector thing when you pull it up you will see in the rear a blue connector and under that the one that you need (it is the switch for the brake light when you hit the rear brake).
thats where you connect the relay.i put the pc8 in the under seat space and there is still enough room for a lock i carry and the oxford tool case.
from there routed my heated gear and my heated corbin/holeshot seat harnesses (tested both worked)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts