StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reviewed TAG from headwave.de, a “box” taped to the helmet that in seconds makes your helmet into a loudspeaker. Connected via Bluetooth to a music player or a GPS navigator it plays music (mono) or driving instructions.

The video can be seen on my Youtube channel Olandsfoto

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
Mono? sounds like a bunch or 50's,60's. records I inherited. Early folk. I got a cassette recorder and everything is on one channel. Kinda amusing.
That would work for phone and GPS. music would lose a bit of it's pazazz.
It might override the tin foil cap I usually were to protect my self from "them".

·
Registered
859 Posts
Back in the 70's they had this thing called the "Bone Fone". It used bone conduction instead of a diaphragm pushing air.
The sound was fantastic and not affected by outside noise. I wish I had one these days to see if it'd work on the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Headwave TAG

I did, as journalist, a review (with a video) of an interesting product, the TAG “Helmet Loudspeaker” from Headwave.
Even if it did the job it is declared to do; with reasonable quality transmit sound using the helmets shell, I have decided to withdraw the video.

My reasons are:

It is too heavy; the almost 150 grams weight it adds to a helmet is dangerously too much!

It is possibly unlawful where I live; strictly following the law it prohibits you to put even a small sticker on a helmet!

It is too bulky; sticks out too much which might cause problems in a crash!

It is too expensive!

Almost all helmets today have been prepared for the installation of headphones/loudspeakers. And an intercom installation is easy to perform.

If we compare the one way communication of sound that TAG gives you for 299 Euros you can get a modern intercom (from Gearbest) for 27 Euros (about 32 dollars) including freight cost. And it gives you so much more, Intercom communication, Mobile phone communication, Bike to Bike communication, FM Radio and can relatively easily be moved to another helmet.

The manufacturer of the other "helmet shell" technique product I mentioned in the video, Buhel, did a better job. More like a normal intercom and they say they will have a new product launch at the end of this year.
I hope to review it then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts