StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Harbor Freight
That's what I use. Get the ride-in wheel chock too and bolt that to the table. It's a pain to put the bike on the lift without one.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
That's what I use. Get the ride-in wheel chock too and bolt that to the table. It's a pain to put the bike on the lift without one.

It figures... :tongue:
That's some farkle.
That table from HF?
tmcgee said:
Harbor Freight
I don't think much of anything I bought from there in the past.

R.I.P. (Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

·
38,103 Posts
It figures... :tongue:
That's some farkle.
That table from HF?
I don't think much of anything I bought from there in the past.
It is an HF piece. It would never hold up used daily in a shop, but it's perfect for bike owners who do their own work. You need to be careful choosing which of their inventory to buy. A lot of their stuff works well enough and certainly is inexpensive, but a lot is just plain cheap.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the harbor freight table and have used it for about 5 years. Seems well built and I use it all winter restoring old motorcycles. While not "professional" quality, it works great, is secure, and will last me until I am tired of it. I have the foot hydraulic model, low end and purchased on sale.

I have friends who have the more expensive air models and I see no real benefit except maybe saving a few seconds when lifting or lowering the bike.

If you are going to restore old motorcycles or repair your Strom, it should be all you will need. It was under $ 200.00 on sale when I bought mine.

·
Registered
780 Posts
MY wife bought my table for me. I own a real nice table. I got a pretty good deal. $700 delivered to my brother's shop. Will go 120" and it's 48" wide. It came with a really cool flat jack.Rate 1200 lbs.
Don't forget to buy the dolly to move the table. I made mine. It cost more than to buy one.The dolly is really important.
Buy the Harbor Freight. It works great for the money. I would have bought a HF table with the air.Whatever table you get, try to get the extensions to 48" wide.
24" is just too narrow. 48" allows to work on the lawnmower or ATV
At some point I want the drive on wheel chock.
I waited almost 30 years to get a table. They are so cheap now. If you have the space it's really a necessary tool.

Les

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
One negative on the HF table lift is that it's easy to overbalance it forward. The base doesn't extend forward far enough. If it start to go and you didn't catch it....not good. I kept a length of 2x4 cut to just the right length to wedge under the front after I realized the problem. Eventually I bought a good lift, a Handy I think it is, out of the K&L Supply book. Quite a bit more money, but worth it IMO.

·
38,103 Posts
That's true because it is a parallelogram setup rather than a scissors. It only happens when it is down very low though. As the bike is raised, it moves back. In fact, the only time it has ever moved on me is when I stepped on it when the bike was off. Having a ride in chock keeps the bike from getting forward enough to be a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Based on my short history with this table, and I no longer own it, I'd say the chock was mandatory unless you always have a helper.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had the chocks on but took them off. They got in the way, for me.

What I think is mandatory is some outriggers. You can build your own pretty easy with a few 2x6's and some plywood. Your feet have a place to land when you're getting the bike on/off the lift.

2 x 6's and 1/2 inch plywood are just about the right height to just tuck under the lip of the lift. You want to put some non-skid stuff underneath too.
The handles are just to make moving them easier. Ride or push the bike on, put the sidestand down (I use a little extra piece of wood on the left box, get off, put the bike on the centerstand, remove the left side box, plug in the air, and pump er up. Ya, I know the air-hydraulic costs more but I'm old and lazy, and that 75 pumps on the foot pump to get it all the way up gets old fast. :biggrin5:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the all the tips. I like the idea of the side boxes as well. Never had a table before, but the older and lazier I get, the more it keeps flashing before my eyes as a worthwhile thing.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I bought one of these HF lifts a week ago. It's still in the crate in the back of the pickup. I hope that it works okay...

I am not against placing anchors in the floor to restrain it better.

·
38,103 Posts
That's very much like the HF model. It has a better front wheel clamp, a longer ramp with a connection arm to the table and a pivoting foot panel on the raising arm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How much vertical clearance

I have been considering one of the lifts. But keeping the thing out of my way when not in use is a concern. Would the HF lift lie flat enough on my shop floor for my 4WD truck to straddle it when not in use? If so, this would be a workable solution for me.

·
38,103 Posts
Would the HF lift lie flat enough on my shop floor for my 4WD truck to straddle it when not in use?
It is 27" wide and 7" high with the chock and tie downs removed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My HF is up against the wall all summer. I bring it down in the fall when it is time to start taking parts off. Never had a problem and it is out of the way.

·
38,103 Posts
When space gets tight, I park the bike on the lift.

·
Registered
251 Posts
well.............

I bought a Handy Lift several years ago and with a compressor in the corner it puts the bike up right away. For the few dollars difference it is solid as a rock and is the one you see in the service area of about all bike shops. You can get add on wings and a wheel chock and other accessories for it to make it as "Handy" as you want it to be. :)

Flint

1 - 20 of 20 Posts