StromTrooper banner

Ta Da! No more helmet buffeting!

19539 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  greywolf
After reading the threads re: buffeting, I seem to have fixed the problem. I shimmed the stock mount .5" and the shield .5". Took it for a quick run down the slab, no helmet buffeting up an indicated 95mph. Still trying to figure out where the body wind noise/buffeting is coming from, BUT at least I can see. Oh yea, the stock screen is set at it highest setting.

Has anyone tried mirror extenders, do they help with the body wind noise/buffeting?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,863 Posts
Has anyone tried mirror extenders, do they help with the body wind noise/buffeting?
Yes, of course -- lots of people. And yes, they do help with buffeting, plus you can finally see something besides your shoulders. (Suzuki really needs to hire a few European or American test riders to replace the scrawny ballerinas they're using now...)

More aerodynamic mirrors also help a lot. Lots of people install Aprilia or similar mirrors.

I have a set of these, and they really helped reduce buffeting:
UNIVERSAL MIRRORS F3 10MM HANDLEBAR FIT MATT BLACK FOR HONDA, KAWASAKI, SUZUKI (PAIR)

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, of course -- lots of people. And yes, they do help with buffeting, plus you can finally see something besides your shoulders. (Suzuki really needs to hire a few European or American test riders to replace the scrawny ballerinas they're using now...)

More aerodynamic mirrors also help a lot. Lots of people install Aprilia or similar mirrors.

I have a set of these, and they really helped reduce buffeting:
UNIVERSAL MIRRORS F3 10MM HANDLEBAR FIT MATT BLACK FOR HONDA, KAWASAKI, SUZUKI (PAIR)
Are you using these with mirror extenders or just by themselves?

· Registered
3,863 Posts
Are you using these with mirror extenders or just by themselves?
I'm using the mirror extenders. First I tried the mirror extenders with the stock mirrors, which helped, but the "slippery" mirrors made the biggest difference. I am a rather wide humanoid...

FWIW, my Vee is "nearly naked" -- I've cut the windscreen down to almost nothing (keep in mind the differences between the early and later windscreens). I started with a stock screen, then found that the more I cut off, the better I liked it. YMMV... I much prefer naked bikes, honestly, and I'll probably do a "thin-strom" conversion some winter.

· Registered
170 Posts
I have edited the prevous statement to correct an error in judgement. I apologize for blaming the motorcycle or stock mirrors for being the root or cause of any problems. The factor I overlooked in making my inccorrect hypothesis is every rider will vary in height, weight, arm length, grip style, shoulder width, leg position, and gut girth. Also included are helment size, and shape. Add that in conjunction with ones choice of riding gear from wife beater to kevlar protection and the equation varies with each person that sits on the bike. Therefore I must ammend my conclusion to the following:

Your Money, Your comfort, Your bike, Your gear, Your results will vary -Party on

· Registered
340 Posts
I'll probably do a "thin-strom" conversion some winter.
Let me know when you do I need the entire headlight to dash assembly, minus the cluster, for parts on 2 pre 2004 DLs would love to get first crack at them.

· Registered
3,923 Posts
Every thread on buffetting, windscreens, height, mirrors, and extenders can be answered with one sentence.
Throw the stock mirrors in the trash and replace them.
Before anyone takes this advice, I suggest removing your mirrors and going for a 0-80 mph ride and see if it makes a difference. To me, it didn't. I found what worked for me - which did not include replacing the stock mirrors.
Surely you've seen this thread , which is where posts on this subject belong.

· Registered
13 Posts
I have an 02 vee and have tried it without mirrors and no difference. Last weekend I removed the handguards to get more air to my hands, they were very hot and that helped some. For me the air comes up over my thighs and up the front of my body and hits my visor and chin guard and cuases my helmet to shake. Tried building some spoilers to move air away from my legs with no success.

· Registered
3,923 Posts
For me the air comes up over my thighs and up the front of my body and hits my visor and chin guard and cuases my helmet to shake. Tried building some spoilers to move air away from my legs with no success.
Now that you know the major source, don't give up! You'll find a solution just as I did.

· Registered
7 Posts
Mirrors and wind

Hey all,
Reading in the forums I noticed some people had tried the Aprilla Tuano (think that is the name) mirrors to cut down on buffeting from wind. Well, I found a pair for 50 bucks and stuck them on and they worked! I noticed with the stock mirrors I had this air jet shooting off to the inside and smacking my helmet by the ear. Very irritating, especially when just the plain old wind standing up was not noisy or buffeting me. These Aprilla mirrors are lower, skinny and extend way to the sides so you can see more than your shoulder. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Now to get one of those helmet sock things and call it good for bad weather and long trips!

· Registered
1 Posts
Wind Buffeting Cured

Thanks to everyone who have offered suggestions and solutions to reducing the wind buffeting from the standard setup.

I've recently purchased a 2007 DL1000. I was amazed at how bad the wind buffeting was.

Here's what I have done that has completely eliminated the god-awful hammering that I used to get from my 2007 DL1000. For reference, I'm 5'11" and do not use handlebar risers.

First, I installed a Madstad bracket. Used with the original screen it provided some relief but didn't eliminate the problem entirely.

Second, I took the Laminar Lip off of my 2007 TransAlp and fitted it to the Vstrom. (The Laminar Lip is a spoiler that attaches to the top of the screen.) Perfect fit. It's held in place with Heavy Duty Velcro strips. It sticks up about an inch and a half above the top of the screen.

Third, The Madstad is adjusted to be about in the middle of its height range and angled to match the profile of the bike.
Result: I have read so many contributor's struggles with this issue, that I have to admit, I din't hold out much hope for finding a solution. I was surprised by the result. Buffeting is completely eliminated. Smooth, almost still air, behind the screen at helmet height. A gentle breeze comes up from around the fairing sides to keep me cool. I can even ride with comfortably with chin piece up on my Nolan helmet.

Amazing transformation. It is a joy to ride.
Laminar Lip (laminarlip.com) also makes one specifically for the DL1000 which looks to have the same profile as the TransAlp's.

Good Luck!

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.