StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening Stromers,

I recently purchased and installed the center stand from T-Rex Racing: https://www.t-rex-racing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=N63-17CS

Installation was straightforward and I like the look and feel of the materials. I have run into a snag with the spring and the stand returning to the storage position however. When I received my kit, it included a set of two springs, one smaller in diameter inside the other. The smaller diameter spring came out of the larger spring while opening the package. I contacted T-Rex customer service to make sure there was no issue and they instructed me to simply install the smaller spring back into the larger. When I placed both springs in position on the stand, it seems that what I feel should be the appropriate tension on the stand is not experienced. My stand seems to flop with very little force. I am afraid that over uneven terrain this could cause the stand to swing down and strike the ground. Also, in removing the bike from the center stand, the stand does not snap back to the storage location. I have to provide it a little help to get there. I made sure that my pivot points were not over-tightened and that they had plenty of lube/grease. I hope you can see this video to see what I'm probably doing a terrible job of describing: https://youtu.be/CYRZVHMFfGc

Please let me know if there is anything you can think of that may be causing this or if this in normal behavior. Go easy, this is my first center stand. I have contacted T-Rex customer service but since its the weekend, I don't expect to hear form them until Monday.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Whoa! That is definitely not normal. You should certainly have more spring tension keeping the stand in its upward/retracted position. I don't have T Rex center stand, so I don't think I can help much. You shouldn't be able to push the center stand with one finger as you are doing in the video. I'm not sure what's going on, as it looks like both springs are in place. :confused:

But I wouldn't ride it like that.

ETA: This seems like a longshot, but is the protective tubing restricting the spring and keeping it from fully relaxing?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just watched the installation video on T-Rex's website. Even in the video, it looks like the spring doesn't provide much tension. I have the SW-Motech center stand, and it springs up with far more force.

I'll be interested to find out what T Rex comes back with.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ETA: This seems like a longshot, but is the protective tubing restricting the spring and keeping it from fully relaxing?

Ok, that is a possibility. I’m wondering if the sleeve is a means of helping the installer not pinch themselves and then it’s intended to be cut off. Problem is T-Rex has no instructions I can find, paper or downloadable, other than the video and the spring is wholly different in that.

I’m practicing setting it on the stand and it seems to be snapping back a little better each time. Still not as much tension as one would think though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Third times the charm. T-Rex sent me a new spring that was “just right” length wise and had no plastic sleeve. Now the stand pops back up into the storage position without any need for help. Very happy with T-Rex customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts