StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what folks are running in terms of sythetic oil - don't begrduge the dealer their money but kind of reminds me of snowmobiling at $70/4 litres - especially when you only need 3 l. Interested in thoughts, experiences and sources (Canadian).

Thanks and safe riding,
Bob

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I used Mobil One 10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil, available at Canuck Tire for the first 65,000km or so. It runs about 12 clams a litre (full litre).

I have since switched over to Amsoil 0-40, also available at canuck tire for about 9.50 a litre. Its an american quart, so 946cc or whatever. With a new filter, you will have about 20cc left. No waste, nice.

I credit the use of synthetic oil for the fact that my valves have not required adjustment, not even at 89,000km. Runs as quiet as the day she was new.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Yes, I suspect we shall hear all sorts of opinions on this one.... ;)

whales oil, coconut oil, dirty old recycled White Owl, etc....

cheers!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Thought by adding "sources"? I could sneak in under the "oil thread radar". I'll check out Cda Tire for those brands.....glad to hear you've had good luck with them. rcacs - did you mean Amsoil 10-40? I've run Amsoil products in my sleds and they're good, and a whole lot cheaper than SkiDoo brand as well.

Not having had to do valves in that mileage is a good thing. Speaks well of the product and probably the manner in which the bike is driven as well. I'm heading out to BC in late August for 3 weeks and want to change oil once more before I go so the advice is appreciated.

Thanks and safe riding,
Bob

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Amsoil has the 10w-40 and 0-40, I have been using the 0w-40. I think they actually call it Power Sports oil. Have been using it for about 25,000km or so.

For some reason, its about 3 sheckles per litre less. Both are available at Canuck Tire.

Cheers!

ps: are you coming thru MB?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
www.amsoil.com if interested in reading up on their product.

I have been by their factory, a huge facility down in Superior, Wisconsin.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
My pal has a Kwacker VN1600 and uses the Kawasaki branded synthetic oil, I think its only around 8 bucks a litre.

Might be worthwhile checking into, if you have a Green dealer nearby.

Cheers!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Synthetic oil change frequencies?

Our Jetta TDI gets it's synthetic changed every 8,000 kilometres. How often are you syn users changing?

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
If you wanted to use Shell Rotella-T 5 w 40 fully synthetic call your local Thermoshell in your phone book. (There are many threads that talk about Rotella-T verses other oils.) You will have to buy in larger quantities (I think I bought a case of 4 jugs of 4 liters) but this ends up being way cheaper than MC synthetic.

..Tom

·
Registered
327 Posts
For what it's worth.
Switched to Mobil 1 from Rotella - switching back to Rotella SAP! I'm sure the Mobil is good, but Rotella gave me a much smoother shift - especially into 1st from neutral.

Al

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Rotella T

I pick up Rotella T across the river in Niagara Falls, NY. About $17 per gallon at Walmart.

-Peter in Niagara Falls

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been running Motul, or Ipone synthetic, whichever I can get the better deal on, average about $10 a litre.

My VTR 1000 liked Semi Synthetic best. Anyone try on the Strom?

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Regular motor oil will work for 99% of riders, as most riders don't actually ride a bike, they "own" a bike :twisted: I actually ride my bikes, use regular dino oil and Fram filters. Haven't had one engine failure yet :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Your right there Wolf. Billions of engines have survived quite nicely on dino oil. I like to consider the use of synthetics as a "treat" for my Wee. Also, going 90,000km and not having to adjust the valves is a treat for me!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
You are one of only two other riders in Canada on the Wee that I know of who has accumulated more miles on the Wee than me. So far I have 51,000km spread over the 05 & 07 models. Bobb Todd (former member here) had over 60,000km when he sold his Wee :cool:

Your right there Wolf. Billions of engines have survived quite nicely on dino oil. I like to consider the use of synthetics as a "treat" for my Wee. Also, going 90,000km and not having to adjust the valves is a treat for me!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I expect to have around 115,000km on my K5 by the end of this season, I just cant seem to stay off my Wee... ;)

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts