StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a detailed post on this subject, but can't seem to find it now.
Anybody know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks keithrj:
I really do appreciate your effort.
Although that's not what I was asking about, it's a good bit of information to know.
At this point in time, I am not in tune with the idea of removing parts from the motorcycle.
After a little searching, however, I was able to find the article in question. Here's a link:
www.tpgtex.com/calsci/VStromThrottlebody.pdf
That one deals with the DL650.
Here's a link to the same location that deals with the DL1000. It's not nearly as pretty as the other but it does make the general proceedure very clear. Scroll down to "Online DL1000 Service Manual," then click on "4 Fuel Injection." You'll find instructions beginning on that page.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/VStrom.html

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've heard a lot about tuning the throttle bodies, and the link mentions that you do this so that the engine runs as effeciently as possible. But do you need to do this with a new bike generally? Should everyone do this or is it just if you are having problems?

·
Registered
640 Posts
ChrisW123 said:
I've heard a lot about tuning the throttle bodies, and the link mentions that you do this so that the engine runs as effeciently as possible. But do you need to do this with a new bike generally? Should everyone do this or is it just if you are having problems?
California service schedule calls for this to be done at 600 miles. Its quite a bit later for other models, but it seems most people who get it done sooner think it helps.

Its not too big of a deal if you are machanically inclined.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do you only have to do it once? Why doesn't the factory do it? Does it improve performance?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I try to do all the work I can on my own bikes. Synchronizing throttle bodies is not usually necessary at 600 miles but should at least be checked. Mine were well within factory specs at that service interval, but I tweeked 'em just the same.
I bought a Morgan CarbTune II for the job and I'm very happy with the tool as well as the results.
My DL1000K5 is the first fuel injected motorcycle I've owned, so working on it is a new experience.

·
Registered
360 Posts
ChrisW123 said:
Do you only have to do it once? Why doesn't the factory do it? Does it improve performance?
The factory does do it but sometimes things shift and change after riding for a bit. Synching the TBs wouldn't have a significant performance gain but it can smooth out a roughly running motor. With a two cylinder, it's pretty easy to make your own manometer to balance the vacuum. It can be as simple as a long tube secured to a board in a U shape and filled with water or (my choice) rubbing alcohol with a drop of food coloring.

It's part of the normal service interval but I don't remember how often the MOM calls for it.

The hardest part is getting the tubes attached to the vacuum nipples on the TBs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts