StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bit the bullet and bought the '07-up SDS diagnostic tool at a Suzuki dealership that was closing shop. It wasn't cheap, but I did get a nice discount from the list price -- which, as many of you know, is in nosebleed territory. I was pretty sure my bike needed a significant adjustment because I had previously done a fairly large adjustment of valve clearances.

And I was right, acording to my hilbilly manometer:

Of course the fluid is ATF, which is about 10 times less dense than mercury, so the gap can be reduced by a factor of 10 to get what it might look like with a mercury tool. Still, a pretty significant imbalance, and unless the ISC valve was locked up at step 58 (which is what the tool does) I doubt if I could have stayed within ISC parameters given the amount I had to turn the screws.

And after:

All in all I'm pleased with the outcome. The SDS tool is pretty cool, since it can be used for all kinds of diagnostics (like OBD2 on post-96 cars) as well as adjustments like idle speed, etc. It also has an ABS diagnostic, but sadly for me my bike doesn't have it.

The only hitch was that I could not get it to recognize a UBS port to talk to the computer, so I had to use an older style comm port emulator to hook up to the USB. But after that it worked like gangbusters.

Anyway, wanted to share. I'm happy. Broke, but happy.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well done, Mike,

You might consider renting the tool out to the group to recoup some of your cost - not too sure how that could work; maybe a deposit up front, then refund all but your fee plus shipping?

I bet a 'sticky' post on this site would line up more than a few folks to use it -if the administrators are OK with the idea. Then of course, Mother Suzuki might not take very well to the idea...:furious:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken, that idea occurred to me as well. I'm not worried about mother Suzuki's feelings since this equipment comes at a stratospheric purchase price which should keep her smiling no matter what I do with it -- short of copying it for sale, which probably would be a copyright or patent violation. People re-sell factory service manuals all the time, and they definitely ARE copyrighted.

I'd love to rent it out at a modest fee to recoup some of my investment, but the mechanism is kind of difficult. A deposit large enough to insure that someone would return an item this expensive would have to be pretty big, and anybody renting it would have to have a lot of trust in me -- a total stranger -- that I would return a deposit of several hundred dollars.

If anyone can think of a way that this can be done while protecting everyone's interests I'd be delighted. I suppose I could sell it outright since my post-valve-adjustment synching is done now and I'm not looking at another valve job for many, many thousands of miles -- I put them at the very top of the spec range for clearance to be sure I won't be doing it again soon.

How about this idea: we take a survey to see how many people (groups or individuals) are interested in this thing, and then make a list. Everybody agrees to "buy" it from his predecessor and "sell" it to the next person on the list for, say, $25 or $50 less depending on interest. Diminishing "buying" and "selling" prices would be determined by where you stand on the list, but everyone would be out of pocket the same amount no matter their investment . That way everybody could have the use of it for a reasonable fee, and no one would be stuck with a very expensive one-time-use item. There's still a degree of trust involved that the next guy will take it (though not much problem if the waiting list is long enough since backsliders can be skipped) and at some point along the line when the price drops enough someone may well decide it's better to keep it (or sell it on eBay) than to pass it on to the next guy for a nominal sum -- but at least everyone participating up to that point would be happy. And the culprit who keeps it will be villianized on this board forever.:mrgreen:

Ideas are welcome. I really would like to share this thing -- and of course recoup some of my investment before the good wife sees next month's credit card bill.

One point to note is that this is Ver.10 of the software, and I think the current issue is Ver.15. I don't know what the difference is, because this version loaded without problem onto my laptops running Windows Vista as well as Win7, and certainly functioned well with my '07 bike. The business with needing a serial port might be it, but it's hard to believe that in 2007 Mother Suzuki still had not heard of USB. I dunno.

Anyway, the unit itself (part #09904-41010) is still current. The software I have is part #9965-01010-010. I have seen the new software version being sold for $120 or so in case newer bikes need it. Anybody buying it to add to the kit could fold it into the pass-on price so nobody would have to bear that burden alone.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Measurements and diagnostics are great. Being an engineer, I live by them.

I use software and a 'dongle' on my laptop to talk to my car. Bleeding ABS brakes is impossible without the software to exercise the ABS pump.

HOWEVER: After these adjustments, do you notice any difference in how your bike runs out on the road?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Bleeding ABS brakes is impossible without the software to exercise the ABS pump.
True in many cases but not needed on the V-Strom.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After these adjustments, do you notice any difference in how your bike runs out on the road?
Since I had cleared a space in the garage for this work (Corvette banished to the driveway) I decided to start a few other things such as installing Intiminator fork valves which involves removing the forks and dumping the old oil in favor of 5W.

So all I can say now is that it seems to idle more smoothly. I don't expect a huge change in demeanor, probably just a return to the smoothness it had before the valve adjustment, which introduced a kind of vague low-rpm "raspiness." It's more for the personal satisfaction of getting it into optimum tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts