StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally looking at the Oxford heaters, but just don't like the looks of the big controller. I have now decided to try a set of Symtec's as they have some good reviews.

Does anyone in Canada or more specifically Ontario sell these? I have found a few places to order through the States, but the shipping will cost as much as the part, not to mention if I get hit with customs.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Is the cost high if the vendor mails the item through the U.S. Postal Service? I understand that there is no customs broker fee as there is with UPS and FedEx.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Similar to the Symtec heated grips, Crappy Tire also sells the Kimpex brand for about $30 which appear to be the same type of install. I've head them on several bikes for several years with no issues. They offer hi/low/off settings. At least that would be local to you. Occasionally they go on sale and I actually bought mine for $12!

Kimpex Heat Grip Kit | Canadian Tire

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the cost high if the vendor mails the item through the U.S. Postal Service? I understand that there is no customs broker fee as there is with UPS and FedEx.
USPS can be hit and miss with customs, I have only got caught with it a couple times, but the quotes I have got so far didn't specify how they ship, but gave me their rate as around thirty bucks. So this puts the unit to around 60-70 dollars and still a chance of customs getting their fingures in it.

I might try Canadian Tire for the others, but I have read some bad reviews on them. Glad to hear some positive feedback though. Suggests they might be worth looking at.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That style of heated grip should not be put on a motorcycle twist throttle system as they have been known to warp the plastic throttle tube ,and you guessed it ... WOW.. one stuck throttle ... and they have been known to burn out under the grip... and again WOW ..one stuck throttle be very careful if you are going to use these , the throttle tube at least should be shielded from the heat of the eliment....:jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
actually, now I do recall that under constant high heat it did somewhat melt my soft gel grips over sustained use on a long trip. so use with caution:)

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Have not had any issues with Symtec in 5 years. You might try Motovan or Parts Canada for grip heaters.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Royal Distributing should have the Kimpex heaters. They might offer other brands too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts