StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Symtec heaters on my Wee with the stock handlebars. I wanted to install some ATV HI bars, but am afraid that if I remove the symtecs they will never stay in place again and the grips will just spin on the bars.

Has anyone removed them and re-installed them before? How do the stick again, or do they require some grip glue to stick again?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I haven't done this but how about using some electrical friction tape on the bars and put the heaters over them. Then use some regular electricians tape over the heaters to hold them in place.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't done this but how about using some electrical friction tape on the bars and put the heaters over them. Then use some regular electricians tape over the heaters to hold them in place.
Electrical friction tape? Is that something that most stores carry? (home depot, lowes)

·
Registered
85 Posts
...or just get some 1" shrink tubing and use that.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
At the risk of not offering a cheap but questionable alternative, why not just buy new grip heaters? I just went through this - new bars $70, new Acerbis handguards $100, Symtec grip heaters $34. For peace of mind and a quality install, get new heaters.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually it worked out quite well. I slowly and carefully removed the grip heaters, and then used some grip glue to put them back on the aluminum bars after insulating with electrical tape. I only had to do this on the clutch side of course since the throttle side was on the plastic throttle tube. Pretty simple really.

Oh and by the way, the Pro-Taper ATV HI bars are great...just like everyone says.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Boondocker is right. Just get new heaters. They are inexpensive and by replacing them you can be sure they won't be a problem later. Better to do it right this time then to have them fail when you need them.

SS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts