StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Symtec grip heater kit (16025) on my 07 Wee, hooking into the free switched circuit behind the radiator. It worked perfectly when first installed (for about a month). The heaters no longer work, there is current to the rocker switch, and there is continuity on both high and low circuits to the grips, so I assume the switch is at fault. I mounted the switch on the horizontal surface of the meter housing panel, so it gets wet. Has anyone had a symtec rocker switch fail due to water exposure, and found a solution?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I just replaced the rocker switch on my Symtec for about $5.00 plus shipping from amotostuff. The switch is poorly designed and does not drain water if it's installed in the horizontal position. It lasted about 5 years.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I bought a few much higher quality switches (it wasn't hard) from Digikey a couple years ago. PM me your address and I'll send you one, gratis, if you'd like. The replacements are a direct fit, connection points and all, but much more robust.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I installed a Symtec grip heater kit (16025) on my 07 Wee, hooking into the free switched circuit behind the radiator. It worked perfectly when first installed (for about a month). The heaters no longer work, there is current to the rocker switch, and there is continuity on both high and low circuits to the grips, so I assume the switch is at fault. I mounted the switch on the horizontal surface of the meter housing panel, so it gets wet. Has anyone had a symtec rocker switch fail due to water exposure, and found a solution?
Yes, I have had 2 fail. In a very weird coincidence, I was in Warren PA both times.

Just replace it with a SPDT toggle switch. No big deal. You'll get about 1-2 years out of a switch when used on a bike due to exposure to weather and such.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rob. Sounds like the ideal fix. I sent a PM with my address. Please let me know the cost so I can cover it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts