StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like there are a lot of experienced riders in this forum and I was just wondering if any of the Sydney based riders had any courses they would recommend(intermediate or advanced) for a new wee strom owner? Ive had my wee for a couple of months and quite used to the size and weight now.I'd like to take on a bit of offroading although I am not that keen to go out on a solo mission.I have limited dirt bike experience.Is there such a course that would polish up my on road skills + give a bit of offroading tips and tricks?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Seems like there are a lot of experienced riders in this forum and I was just wondering if any of the Sydney based riders had any courses they would recommend(intermediate or advanced) for a new wee strom owner? Ive had my wee for a couple of months and quite used to the size and weight now.I'd like to take on a bit of offroading although I am not that keen to go out on a solo mission.I have limited dirt bike experience.Is there such a course that would polish up my on road skills + give a bit of offroading tips and tricks?
Give the guys at Stay Upright a call, they operate out of Eastern Creek. They have all manner of courses that will suit, just depends how deep your pockets are. Strongarm + my son did the course a while back now (Advanced 1). We had a great time, and learned heaps. Give the guys a call and have a chat before parting with your hard earned cash and they will direct you to the courses that will suit your level, and yes there is off road courses as well.

Stay Upright Motorcycle Techniques : New South Wales Rider Training

Farmer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Farmer I'll look into it. I wish there was a big ol paddock with some dirt roads around here,I live @ Randwick so no joy lol...any Idea were to go for a bit of pracice without getting hassled by the cops,the only place that really springs to mind is around Windsor/Wisemans ferry etc...all my mates own road bikes so once I hit the dirt I'll be on my own.

·
Registered
98 Posts
... where to go for a bit of pracice without getting hassled by the cops ...
Hey Davo ... practice is all about the development of sound technique and systems (braking / gear changing for corners / cornering lines etc.) ... this does not need to involve speed which would bring into issues with the law ... it's about getting it right to keep yourself as safe as possible. I find the challenge of getting it right and having good systems in place one of the joys of riding ... not necssarily how fast it all happens.

I would recommend the Stay Upright courses as well ... I think they ought to be compulsory?? ... there is some nice country north of Sydney heading towards, and in the Hunter area, that has a good mix of roads and bush ....

Take it easy ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no argument here about speed as I think Im a pretty slow rider..I just want to improve my technique and break any bad habits I might have + get a bit of dirt road practice as I will probably try and take this bike around Oz(within a couple of years),never been for a ride up around the hunter..sounds good.I have ridin on Stockton beach a few years ago and I remember it to be one of the best days Ive ever had on a bike.great spot. Not worried about getting done speeding,just want to find a bit of offroading without being in the wrong area.Im born and bred in the city so a bit of a noob,prolly sounds strange to someone who has miles of dirt roads at their front door? around the sydney area though its either the council the rangers or the police ..or its private property.All the fire trails I know of have big gates and big signs stating the numurous activitys that are banned....Motorcycles are up the top of the list.....

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
#1 on Stay Upright courses + keep an eye on this forum for any rides out of Sydney. Ockerstrom is always off for a ride and takes in a bit of dirt on the way :biggrinjester:

OR go with Mudrat, his map is covered in dirt

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Riding a motor bike is also a LOT about survival skills like not finding yourself in the wrong place etc when you ride on the road .The same applies with off road ridng particularly not putting you bike in the wrong place to start with .You can learn a lot from experenced riders by going on rides with them , following them and asking questions . The Vstrom is a bit to heavy for beach riding IMO . Comfidence is a MAJOR advantage when riding ,you can also be over confident ( big problem ), so be carefull. There is no better way than training and Stay Upright is were I would start .

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Davo,"Stay Upright" big Yes,It will improve your skills and management,boy you are between a rock and a hard one ay,all you want to do is ride the bloody thing,my sons live in Melbourne, one at Windsor one at Hawthorn and I think on my visits this is not Strom friendly,have you sussed out the local bike shops re local rides/groups etc ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes windi you know what I mean...Ok I will do the course ,sounds like fun anyway. thanks everyone for your input

1 - 9 of 9 Posts