StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a skidplate for my strom. I like the sw motech but my only concern is that it attaches to the crankcase. If i take a good hit on the pan how much stress is that gonna casue to my engine case. any input on this would be great or if there is any other skidplates that you recommend. I wonder if i could leave the bracket that attaches to the crankcase of and not install it. would it still be sturdy enough. thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have that skidplate on my 2014 Vee2. I have slammed it pretty good riding 2 up off road. No issues what so ever. This skidplate is worth its weight in gold. Lots of coverage!

It is not made for extreme off roading, but neither is this motorcycle.

Good luck!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have smashed mine a hundred times. No damage what so ever to the cases. It will eventually bend up and touch the exhaust. I just pound it back when I take it off to change the oil

This was after just one good trip :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice that is good to hear. I Def like the look and build of the motel better than other brands. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also have the plate on my '14 Vee2. Bashed it pretty good many times, zero issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
When I owned an F800GS I had opted for an overpriced BMW skidplate. I was knocked off the bike by an exploding underground fuel tank cover (at least it popped off with the force of an explosion when I drove over it) that put a big ripped dent in the bottom and drove the plate into the oil filter. After removing it I found the mounts to be very soft brackets that bent easily. Only thing I could figure is it was Beemer's way of saving the crankcase by having the brackets collapse. Do the SWs mount that way?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
We have the sw-motech skid plate/bashplate and removed the side bracing when we did last service and have had no issues.

Cheers GotaV2

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have the sw-motech skid plate/bashplate and removed the side bracing when we did last service and have had no issues.

Cheers GotaV2
thats what i was thinking. because it will be connected in the rear of the plate and also in the front to the crash bars. where the hell is gonna go lol

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I have that skidplate on my 2014 Vee2. I have slammed it pretty good riding 2 up off road. No issues what so ever. This skidplate is worth its weight in gold. Lots of coverage!

It is not made for extreme off roading, but neither is this motorcycle.

Good luck!
I have had this skid plate from day one on my '14 Vee2. Zero issues here, great coverage. I did replace some of the nuts and screws t make it easier to remove for oil changes, otherwise completely satisfied. Dirt roads yes, single track no no.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts