StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on how to get used to switching between bikes? I just about dumped the vstrom yesterday in a traffic circle after leaning it hard and slamming the feeler and then the centerstand into the pavement. Much more used to the capabilities of my other sportier bike and it felt natural.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
When I first started riding I had an Ariel 650 twin and a Honda 500/4. I was constantly stomping on the brake or the shifter until I got muscle memory for the bike I was riding at the time.
Switching between a later sidecar rig and a solo bike was curious too.
It can be done but one needs to pay attention.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I switch between 3 very different bikes always and it just takes a bit of attention and a few minutes after starting all is well. I swapped a ninja 400, a 2019 wee, and a cbr1000RR in one day and it is a real treat tbh.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
At one time I had 8 bikes on the road. There were days where I'd ride one for a while come home and trad it out for another repeat 4 or 5 more times. I got used to riding multiple bikes so now there is no adjustment. Just get on stab the starter and ride away.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dragging hard parts on the street isn’t cool. You should do some track days and learn better body position. These skills will help you regardless if you’re riding a sport bike, a Vstrom, or a Harley. Oh and it’s a ton of fun.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
When I first started riding I had an Ariel 650 twin and a Honda 500/4. I was constantly stomping on the brake or the shifter until I got muscle memory for the bike I was riding at the time.
Switching between a later sidecar rig and a solo bike was curious too.
It can be done but one needs to pay attention.
went from BSA to HD. swapping shifter & brake sides takes getting used to. Time on the back roads before traffic helped.

·
Vendor
5,238 Posts
Yes, pulling up way too fast to a stop sign while feverishly shifting into fourth gear is a trip. 72 Norton Commando.

That's why my next Commando will be a 1975, right side shift, left brake.

But getting to the question, yes muscle memory. You just have to get your brain tuned in through repetitive exercise. In other words, it will come with time.

It may still take a few minutes for the body to adjust, even after getting some time on both bikes.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
" swapping shifter & brake sides takes getting used to"

Didn't some bikes have cross over rods for a while to comply with the industry standard for a while? Seems i saw that at one time...or a 0631 brain fart?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Any advice on how to get used to switching between bikes? I just about dumped the vstrom yesterday in a traffic circle after leaning it hard and slamming the feeler and then the centerstand into the pavement. Much more used to the capabilities of my other sportier bike and it felt natural.
Sure. Ride them both more!
Seriously, I have 3 registered and it's a lot of work giving them a workout but someone's got to do it...:serious:

Reactions: notacop
1 - 12 of 12 Posts