StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have returned to my bike an hour after parking it to find my fog lights still on. Way too often, so I installed a switched relay. The average automotive relay can handle 40+ amps, way more than you will need. For those who don't have one, it's a relay that shuts power to accessories as the ignition is shut off. For heated gear, connect direct to battery. Very easy to do; you'll need 14 ga wire for your direct connections to the battery posts and 16 ga. wire for accessories and switched lead. The switched lead on a 2012+ DL550 is on the left inside of the fender; a brown wire goes to a connector, and from it emerges a gray wire and black/white wire. Splice into the gray wire using a snap splicer available at automotive shops. Both the relay and fuse block cost less than $10 on Amazon.
The wiring codes are marked on the relay as such:

30- power from the battery
87- power out to your fuse block
85-ground to your battery
86-coil power, i.e. power from your spliced lead
87a-power that is always on; I don't recommend unless it has very low draw, i.e. cell phone charger.

See photo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I just installed two 10W Cree LEd's on the highway bar. I might regret it, but I already had 16ga marine sheathed wire running up to my cig lighter, so I just tapped in there & put a switch on the dash.....so my lights are on the un-switched leg.

Recently I have been driving/delivering & picking up tractors for my local dealer & have started doing a walk around every time I park and prior to getting back on the road. This is not just for a straps/chain check, I have found wires dangling, and pins loose. I learned walk arounds the hard way........after looking in the mirror @ 55mph on a 3 lane interstate running though Nashville, I was rather shocked to see one of my trailers 5' angle iron loading ramps cartwheeling through the air. A roll pin had fallen out that held the 2" solid round pivot bar in place.

Anyway, it's not a bad idea to do a walk around on our bikes post & pre ride...takes a min max.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Not relevant to thread...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts