StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 DL650 has a 2 pin flasher relay right behind the battery with a brown wire that appears to be switched 12V. It seems to me this would be a very easy spot to make a little harness with regular spade connectors to tap into the switched 12V to run an aux relay. I cannot however find a single instance where someone else has done this, everyone talks about the tail light wire or the rear brake switch wire which require buying special connectors or cutting wires. Is the flasher configuration different/harder to access on pre 2017 650's and that's why I can't find any info on it? Or is this just a bad place to get switched power for a different reason?

On a side note, the reason I'm doing this is so I can run Oxford heated grips off of a relay. I installed the grips and then didn't ride the bike for a few weeks and found the battery dead. I pulled the fuse for the grips and found they were drawing 50 uA even when off. I'm fairly sure these killed the battery since the bike is brand new, never ridden and this is the only electronic accessory I've installed. I'm in contact with the distributor to find out if this is a normal current draw, or if the controller is faulty. Either way I think I will still run them off of a relay to be safe.

·
Administrator
6,380 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts