StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Stromtroopers,
I've emailed Suzuki Australia pointing out the very possible shortcomings of not having switchable ABS on an Adventure Bike[as the new Vee2 is being vigorously advertised as being]. "Ride the World", they are saying. Now, I'm sure there are more than a few out there who are a little concerned about steep, downhill,loose sections of dirt with ineffective brakes due to activation of the ABS system[read disassembleds' post about the bashplate if you need convincing]. This sort of situation is well within the design parameters of this bike, and I believe that Suzuki should rectify this shortcoming ASAP, retrospectively, at least on the rear. If anybody else feels the same way, I encourage you to email/write to your Suzuki importer with the same suggestion. Would love to hear some feedback on this.
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I feel that this is DL 1000 '14+ specific and should be discussed in relevant forum.......but........whatever......
just trying to encourage discussion on this matter

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
No, it applies to all ABS models. Also, if you really want Suzuki to see what you wrote, this is the best forum for that.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My apologies, GW, forgot about the 650.......my mistake, but the heading of this section states that it is not for "conversation", which is what I am trying to encourage. I have already sent my piece to Suzuki and I am hoping others will follow......if they feel the same way.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I cannot recall now where I've read it or whether it was V-Strom specific, but hasn't it been done where ABS can be disabled by adding a switch to the ABS circuit?

·
38,048 Posts
I you want conversation, I'll allow it. Getting more people to agree may encourage Suzuki. It is a pretty simple user modification to add a switch though. It also isn't too difficult to pull a fuse. The present ABS system is pretty good. It would take a long, steep, loose downhill to really get in trouble. Of course those who are happy with steering a beast by sliding the rear out will want to disable ABS as long as they are off road.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I you want conversation, I'll allow it. Getting more people to agree may encourage Suzuki. It is a pretty simple user modification to add a switch though. It also isn't too difficult to pull a fuse. The present ABS system is pretty good. It would take a long, steep, loose downhill to really get in trouble. Of course those who are happy with steering a beast by sliding the rear out will want to disable ABS as long as they are off road.
I totally agree that it is a simple modification that the user can do, but, the dealer tells me I will void warranty. Then there's the possibility of spiking the ECU by switching it on the fly. What I would like is for Suzuki to give a safe option without compromising any warranty.

·
38,048 Posts
A modification will not void a warranty unless the manufacturer can show the modification caused the problem. Dealers should know the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act so it was more likely an outright lie than a mistake. I hope you don't expect warranty coverage if you drop a bike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My thoughts are more insurance related. If you were in an accident and the feature was disabled, you may run into issues with your coverage or at the least the premiums you pay that are tied to safety features like ABS.

·
38,048 Posts
Turning off ABS if there was a stock switch would have the same legal effect.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A modification will not void a warranty unless the manufacturer can show the modification caused the problem. Dealers should know the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act so it was more likely an outright lie than a mistake. I hope you don't expect warranty coverage if you drop a bike.
No,but......if operating a vehicle within the parameters it's designed for, and an accident is caused by the failings of the vehicles design, opens a can of litigious worms........that's bread and butter for the American legal eagles, isn't it?
So now, moving forward, does anyone else feel that not having switchable ABS could create a dangerous situation off road?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tested the abs on a gravel hill, I couldn't believe how difficult it was to slow down let alone stop. I guess it isn't difficult to remove a fuse to ride dirt

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tested the abs on a gravel hill, I couldn't believe how difficult it was to slow down let alone stop. I guess it isn't difficult to remove a fuse to ride dirt
I agree that removing a fuse is easy, if you know the dirt you're going on. A couple of different scenarios to consider - 5 or 6 stretches of dirt in one day? That's 10 or 12 stops to remove/replace the fuse. I'm all for ABS on the tar. Also, when you crest that steep, downhill, gravel section on a less familiar road and there is no way to stop, how do you pull the fuse then? Effective braking on the dirt requires breaking through the loose surface to get to the solid ground underneath, something that can't be done without locking the rear wheel.

·
38,048 Posts
Cut the red/black wire on the #9 fuse and extend the cut ends to a 15A or better switch and you have an ABS cut off switch.

You could also use a fuse adapter and not cut anything.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cut the red/black wire on the #9 fuse and extend the cut ends to a 15A or better switch and you have an ABS cut off switch.

You could also use a fuse adapter and not cut anything.

Thanks, GW, I will consider this option. As I don't have access to a wiring diagram, I'm guessing that fuse #9 is for the ABS pump? Also, all of the adapters that come up online, only have a single wire extending from them. With my auto electrical skills being what they are[poor :frown2:], how do you run a switch?

·
38,048 Posts
The diagram is really all you need to make it work. I don't know if anything out there is set up for a plug and play installation. The #9 fuse is for the ABS valve. The pump fuse is #10 and would take a heavier duty switch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had an incident off-road with the ABS which contributed to me damaging the skid plate and nearly crashing (if not for the skid, i'd have damaged the bike in the bush). Descending a steep hill made up of a thin layer of sand with small loose rocks on top, the ABS was going crazy leaving me with pretty much no brakes, realising I was over committed, I changed line to put me on some bigger, dinner plate sized rocks which would have given me some more grip. Of course by this stage I had the brakes pulled on pretty hard because there was no feedback due to the ABS, when my front wheel rolled onto one of these larger rocks, the brakes locked up hard which dislodged the rock and levered it into the underside of the bike, the result... near crash and one concave shaped skid plate, certainly would have been a damaged exhaust if the plate wasn't there. That was scary, the ABS is straight out dangerous off road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had an incident off-road with the ABS which contributed to me damaging the skid plate and nearly crashing (if not for the skid, i'd have damaged the bike in the bush). Descending a steep hill made up of a thin layer of sand with small loose rocks on top, the ABS was going crazy leaving me with pretty much no brakes, realising I was over committed, I changed line to put me on some bigger, dinner plate sized rocks which would have given me some more grip. Of course by this stage I had the brakes pulled on pretty hard because there was no feedback due to the ABS, when my front wheel rolled onto one of these larger rocks, the brakes locked up hard which dislodged the rock and levered it into the underside of the bike, the result... near crash and one concave shaped skid plate, certainly would have been a damaged exhaust if the plate wasn't there. That was scary, the ABS is straight out dangerous off road.
Perfect example of why Suzuki really needs to get on top of this, for a bike that is marketed in the "Dual Sport" category. Ride safe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts