StromTrooper banner

Switch wiring/ indicator light question

1008 4
I have an unlit factory 2-wire on-off fog light switch I'm going to install as a relay trigger for my Denali D7s. I want to wire a pre-wired indicator led to the switch mounted in my dash panel that lights up when the lights are on. I can do basic wiring but I am far from an electrician. My assumption is that the LED indicator should be wired to the switched power coming out of the switch and then to ground. Then when I activate the switch the LED will light up. It can't be this simple, am I missing something here? I would appreciate it if anyone with more electrical knowledge than we will chime in.

Font Cable Wire Auto part Eyewear
Writing implement Paint brush Font Fashion accessory Art
Reactions: StretchNM
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Yes it is that easy.

·
Registered
1987 XT350, 1994 DLR350, 2001 SV650S
5 Posts
That LED will need a current limiting resistor, unless it has already been added under that shrink tape. If you have that whole bundle of LEDs, you could cut the shrink tape open on one to see if it is already there. You can vary the resistor value to get the brightness you like out of the LED. A cleaner option might be to install a switch with a built in indicator led. Here's one I've used on projects: APIELE 12mm Latching Push Button Switch SPST Pre-Wired. A google search will bring up some buying options.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,826 Posts
Denali has its own lighted switch for their lights. Handlebar or flat surface mounted.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Denali has its own lighted switch for their lights. Handlebar or flat surface mounted.
That's the one I replaced but the 3-way. it's a cool switch unless you have large hands wearing winter gloves, then it's a fiddly pos. I've got one in a box if anyone needs one, 3 way high low off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts