StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm brand new to this forum. I've had my 2011 dl650 since June and decided to do my oil changes. I don't want a center stand, so decided to find a rear stand that grabs swingarm spools to lift the bike. Does anyone know if swingarm spools are usable on the v-storm? If so, which ones should I get? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
eBay has many listings from $15 up. I think 8mm diameter is the correct thread, but check that...I don't know the thread pitch (distance in millimeters between each thread).

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Lots of choices in spools and they all work.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want a center stand. They used to come on just about every bike. Lots of jobs are very difficult without one.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Harbor Freight has a $36 swing arm lift that doesn't require spools. It has U shaped brackets that fit nicely under the V-strom swingarm.
Motorcycle Swingarm Rear Stand

Reactions: lmike6453

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Get the spools that act like "Sliders" (black plastic matl).........unless you wanna see sparks by using the all-metal spools..... instead of black shavings....... while sliding down the road........:yikes:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Unless you take off your passenger peg mounts, rear sliders are unlikely to ever touch pavement.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
I got a set of spools that bolted to the wee swing arm at Harbor Frieght for less than 10 buck on sale. The ground down some in my get off so they protected something. It good to have sacrificial bits to offer the accident gods.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lots of choices in spools and they all work.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want a center stand. They used to come on just about every bike. Lots of jobs are very difficult without one.
Not to threadjack, but for me it's a combination of just plain not needing it combined with not liking the look, extra weight, etc.. I've got a spool stand, and it works great for maintenance. Very easy to use, with less risk of dropping the bike IMHO.

I just can't imagine many situations on the road where I would need it AND have the supplies to actually make use of it. For instance, obviously it would be great if you had to replace a rear tire in the middle of no where, but it's not like I carry an extra rear tire around with me.

As for the OP, I put cheapo Harbor Freight spools on mine. They were the wrong size, so I got smaller bolts and made up some brass collars to make them fit nice and tight. Total cost was like $5.

·
Registered
299 Posts
i'm reviving this older post...

i just purchased a 2009 orange wee.

the previous owner, also a s-t forum guy, did many thoughtful mods.

one mod was installing the kevin baker lower link :

(Kevin Baker Lowering Links for Suzuki DL650 V-Strom)

i am thinking about a center stand.

the previous owner suggested the sw-motech center stand from twisted throttle which he said would work with the lower link. :

SW-MOTECH Centerstand (Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, '04-'11) - TwistedThrottle.com

i'm not much of a wrench so installing the center stand is probably within my skill set...maybe...sorta...kinda.

but installing a set of 8mm spools with some blue loctite is surely within my limited abilities.

questions:

it is 8mm spools right?

will all 8mm have the same screw threads or will it need to be suzuki/v-strom specific?

are there recommended versions that others have used and "approve"?

thanks in advance for any and all info shared.

be well.

rob

·
38,104 Posts
The threads are M8x1.25 which is pretty much standard.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The threads are M8x1.25 which is pretty much standard.
pat-

thank you for the VERY quick reply!

are there preferred brands/types?

be well.

rob

·
38,104 Posts
I don't have a preference. It's just a spool and a screw. There's not much to go wrong.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
..I've had my 2011 dl650 since June and decided to do my oil changes. I don't want a center stand, so decided to find a rear stand that grabs swingarm spools to lift the bike...
Necessary for oil changes ?

I have neither center stand nor spools (or any other type of lifting apparatus) and I've had no issues with changing oil...

·
Registered
350 Posts
I like the idea of a swingarm lift for doing chain maintenance. I'd like to get a center stand at some point, but the lift should be fine for now. I ordered a pair of the 8mm swingarm spools and a swingarm lift from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
swingarm stand vs centerstand

swing arm = easier to drop the bike as you start from a tilt as bike is on a side stand

I have done it both ways

1 - 18 of 18 Posts