StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done Swift Rapids Road recently?

Think I could manage it on a Vee with Metzler Tourances?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Looks like a great road. I think you could do it. Report back and let us know how is goes:)

I would check this road out and I have a TKC80 on the front and Tourance on the rear. I would just add this road in to a Muskoka run on my way up to check out the full length of the Old Nipissing Road.

Here's a video of the road to get an idea of what the surface is like of Swift Rapids Road (if you haven't seen it already): Swift Rapids Road June 06 2011 on Vimeo

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was watching that video that gave me second thoughts, not so much for what I saw on the video, but because of the fact that he broke his rear rack and license plate riding the road on a KLR, which I would have thought would be even more capable than the Vee.

I'm going to give it a try today and will report back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ran it two years ago. About 15k in. A fun run but was gated at the end when I ran it so it was an in and out. Had stock deathwings on at the time and was no problem.
Note on the Old Nippising road. Was up on it last weekend. 518 to Magnetawan is just a regular garvel side road most of the way. Hard top near Magnetawan. Magnetawan to Commanda is a whole different story. Many areas more like an atv trail and some water. But a pile of fun! Ran it with Anakee 2's no problem but if we get lots of wet weather it would certainly change.
Happy riding

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Pleased to report that I made it there and back in one piece.

It seems to have been refurbished recently. There are no potholes, but there are frequent stretches of deep, loose, coarse gravel, especially on the hills and in the (usually off-camber) turns.

Nothing that would slow a hardcore ADVer down, although I took it at a snail's pace. Sedans and minivans were handling it fine.

Once you get to the locked gate, keep walking and you'll come to the Swift Rapids lock, which is a whopping 43 feet high!

Lots of nice places to stop and admire the scenery along the way.

Now, if you want a real ADV experience, do as I did and follow Burnside Line past the gravel and along some really sketchy dual track, complete with really deep mud holes and big rocks along the way. I didn't mean to go quite so off-road - I just missed a turn and assumed (showing my customary lack of judgement) that Burnside Line got a bit less formal at this point.

Once I reached the end of the dual track, I was alone with a very strange assortment of plastic appliance parts.

At that point, I thought I heard banjo music, so I high-tailed it out of there.

So, to sum up, Swift Rapids Road is worth a ride to see the lock, but nothing that will challenge the hard-core off-roaders among us.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I did the road on my Wee in 2009 - part of a tour I did to see all the Trent Severn Locks. Not too challenging - I had Trailwings and all was fine - just use clutch and throttle judiciously in some spots but otherwise passable. It was a mix of rain and sunshine the day I did it.
Safe rides,
Bob

·
Registered
280 Posts
I did about 1.5km of this road today. I thought it was a bit creepy and felt like I was on private property and trespassing. I hate the way these remote areas are used as dumps by the scum of the earth. If I go back I'd rather not go alone...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts