StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrecked my '06 DL-650 this weekend when a rock flew into the crankcase, breaking off the oil-line spigot and some other stuff from the crank case.

(Please, no comments about the benefits of skid plates. :headbang:)

I'll probably go get a new one -- ABS was on my wishlist anyway. I would, however, like to keep my V-Strom red, swapping the (pretty much brand new) fuel tank and plastics from my '06 to the '11 model.

So here's my question: Does anyone have actual knowledge or first-hand experience whether a fuel tank from the pre-K7 era is compatible with the newer bikes?

Here's what I know:
  • The part number indicates a version change: 44110-06G00-xxx to 44100-06G30-xxx -- but sometimes this can be as little as a different sticker, sometimes it's a physical change, hence my question.

• I'm aware of the possible difference regarding the evap canister but would be prepared to lose that one.

• I know that the wheelbase has grown a little -- has it been confirmed that this is just a longer swingarm, or possibly also a change in frame (and thus tank/plastic) geometry?
This is all for the E-3 version (US w/o California). Thanks for any input.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
All tanks have the same dimensions. The only thing that needs attention is the venting. If the old tank has a vented cap and the new one a canister, you'll need to keep the old cap and plug the line from the canister to the throttle bodies. The only length change is in the swingarm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So is the evap the reason for the reduced capacity on the later gen 650s? I’m quite happy with my current 06 but would like to eventually upgrade to a newer wee with ABS and spiked wheels. I’d like to keep the 5.8 gallon fuel capacity on my current bike. Would like to eventually do some riding out in Alaska and the extra 0.5 gallons of fuel/range can come in handy.
All tanks have the same dimensions. The only thing that needs attention is the venting. If the old tank has a vented cap and the new one a canister, you'll need to keep the old cap and plug the line from the canister to the throttle bodies. The only length change is in the swingarm.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
So is the evap the reason for the reduced capacity on the later gen 650s? I’m quite happy with my current 06 but would like to eventually upgrade to a newer wee with ABS and spiked wheels. I’d like to keep the 5.8 gallon fuel capacity on my current bike. Would like to eventually do some riding out in Alaska and the extra 0.5 gallons of fuel/range can come in handy.
I believe the shape and capacity changed in 2012......and Greywolf (RIP) was talking about First Generation Years, not the GLEE Years (sorry......I hate that name). Supposably, the fuel milage got better starting 2012 so they reduced the tank size slightly to offset.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts