StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Looking at adding a set of Givi Trekkers. Any thoughts on whether to get the Givi racks or the quick connect SW Motech variety? Kinda nice to be able to remove the racks easily. Just not sure of durability.

Thanx

·
Administrator
13,691 Posts
I went with the SW. I don't like sie racks on my bike when I am not using the side cases (which is the normal situation for me.)

They are very quick to remove and install and when off are almost invisable. I see no issues with durability.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i've got the givi racks myself, and i like them and don't mind them being on all the time as they act as a good exhaust crash bars (don't ask me how i know:mrgreen:) and i also have my mega tool tube attached to them as well...the only thing i like about removable is the clean look...

my .02...

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Whether I have my e21's mounted or my e41's I always have some bags mounted. If it gets warm I have a place to stash jacket/pant liners, electric vest etc. If it turns cold they are with me. Plus a can of fix a flat, compressor, small jump cables, water, sardines, apple, maps and stuff.

It was 20 F this morning and it's 62 F now so I do deal with wide temp. spreads. Maybe 50 F difference in a day in the summer.

The Trekkers look interesting.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I went for the non-removable givis:
I do not intend to be removing the racks on a regular basis. Instead I prefer more secure racks without the need to buy extra keyed parts. My motorcycle looks like a V-Strom; so the racks don't hurt its looks. Not that I ride without the bags (E21's) very often..

Yes, the givi racks could be removed by a determined thief. But I figured quick releases was just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
17 Posts
SW Motech

I've got a set of the SW Motech EVO racks and have had them for about two years with no issues. Also they give you the option of mounting different brands of bags, you've just got to get the mounting hardware (and not a whole new rack system).

·
Registered
722 Posts
While I've not tried it, I have noticed that a lot of 3rd party bag makers offer adapter kits as well. The regular givi system has legs like that too.

Obviously the plx system is different. That system hugs the bike closer and does not mount in a single plane. Only the V35's will mount on that, IIRC.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've had both, prefer the SW. Better built and if you change cases, adapters are readily available to fit all cases.
I also have the locking knobs on the racks. Although the racks can be quickly removed, I never do. I have givi E41's that I rarely mount.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I've got the racks with no hardware to mount.

Anyone know if there is a kit just for the hardware?
I've never seen one. Metric bolts from a hardware store work fine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've got the racks with no hardware to mount.

Anyone know if there is a kit just for the hardware?

Thanks
If I understand you correctly you just have the racks.... If that is the case and you have none of the small tabs that the fasteners seat into then you have a completely useless kit. We do not sell the tabs by themselves. If you have the EVO carriers download and open this set of instructions: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/filemanager/download/2071/

If I understand your question correctly then you are missing these parts from page 3:
  1. 4 (1)
  2. 7 (1)
  3. 10 (1)
  4. 14 (1)
  5. 18 (2 - L/R)
  6. 22 (2-L/R)
Kev

·
Registered
20 Posts
WeeStrom - Givi E360 clones on a Givi PL532 Rack < 300$USD

I just ordered Givi racks to use with (3) of the JCWhitney Garage Pro cases ( Pretty much Exact clones of the 40 liter GIVI E360 topcase sidecase ), Am Using one as a topcase now , works fine, is durable , So at 40$ per bag shipped from JCW ( 3 for 120 ) and about 170 for the Givi PL532 racks from Twisted T , Under 300 for 120 litres of storage ? Cant beat it with a BESTEM ?
Will post pics as soon as mounted .
:yikes:

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have the SW MoTech and the quick release didn't stand up to the rigors off off-pavement riding. Also one of the arms broke off from fatigue (not a crash). I contacted the vendor but was "out of the warranty" period. If you ride off-road then I would not recommend these. :thumbdown: This was my experience so YMMV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts