StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grrrr.... a little more R&D please???

I had quite the time installing this toprack on the 2012 yesterday.

I even read the instructions!!! (shockingly enough)

The instr. say to remove the rear carrier (4 bolts), install the steel toprack to the carrier (4 bolts/nuts), then re-install the carrier/toprack back onto the bike. Easy enough, right?

Oh no....

After bolting the toprack onto the carrier, you can no longer access the rear two bolt locations to re-install the carrier to the bike. :headbang:

Install the carrier back on the bike (after removing the toprack) and you cannot access the underside of the carrier to get a wrench on the nuts that tighten the toprack down. :headbang::headbang:

The only alternatives are to drill two holes in the brand new toprack to allow you to use a socket wrench to reinstall the carrier, OR notch out a small portion of the underside of the carrier in two places to allow a wrench to be slipped in and allow the tightening of the bolts that hold the toprack to the carrier. :thumbdown:

Additionally, the spacers between the toprack and the carrier were not beveled which made the bolt heads stand proud of the toprack surface.

Only with a custom-modified box end wrench was I able to tighten the toprack bolts with the carrier installed on the bike.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was able to slide an open-end wrench in at an angle to tighten the front mounting nuts on the toprack. Not ideal, but I didn't have to notch anything or modify any tools for the task. And yeah, the instructions are bs. When they designed the rack they obviously never actually tried putting it on the bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to slide an open-end wrench in at an angle to tighten the front mounting nuts on the toprack. Not ideal, but I didn't have to notch anything or modify any tools for the task. And yeah, the instructions are bs. When they designed the rack they obviously never actually tried putting it on the bike.
that's what I ended up doing too-- luckily my wrench has a couple of "added in" bends...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts