StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting here ready to order crashbars and a skid plate from SW Motech, but they only offer the skid plate in a 2 tone? Why? I want an all black plate. The 1000 skid plate is offered in all black ($10 more). I just dont get it, unless i'm missing something.

I checked the Hepco & Becker and really didnt like the looks. The Pat Walsh stuff is an abomination to my eyes. Its super ugly. I dont know of any other options.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Where did you get those highway pegs that mount to the skidplate?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a good looking plate. Thanks. I'll be ordering one in the next few minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Yeah, I agree, those Pat Walsh skid/crash bar setup is heinous......:confused:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm still waiting for my SWmotech skid plate to arrive. I may keep it two tone. But, if you don't like it in two tone....it's a piece of cake to paint it all black. Sand it out with some 300, coat of primer, two coats of spray paint. Problem solved.

PS. My buddy's got the aforementioned highway pegs. They're too wide.

Unless of course you never corner aggressively.

·
Registered
293 Posts
that's why they fold up
That's fine. I just wouldn't want to be the guy that proves or disproves that statment while pinning the throttle coming out of a sweeper and doing about 65 on the pavement.

I wouldn't even want to prove that doing 20 on a tight turn. Anything that potentially puts me on the pavement while riding is something I want to avoid.

My buddy fixed it by taking two inches off each side I believe.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I used that spray-on auto fender undercoating stuff. It makes a pleasantly dull and pebbly surface, and also reduces the pinging noise from pebbles, etc. hitting the uncoated aluminum. $5 a can, maybe less.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just ordered an aluminum skid plate from Yanna with the highway pegs. I'm not keeping the highway pegs on, but they would be a nice addition for my North Carolina and Indiana trip in the next few months.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I agree, those Pat Walsh skid/crash bar setup is heinous......:confused:

Sorry. That doesnt look too bad, but still not my taste.

Here's a picture from ADVrider that I was basing my opinions off of and I think it looks awful. Way too wide for my taste.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I have the SW bash plate in black anodized,ordered and came that way,very good product,I did put a 50mm hole saw through it right below the oil drain plug,good move for oil changes and just seal with a 50mm black electrical bush no issues at all,an inspection underneath I'm glad it's there :yesnod:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Haven't seen the AMoto Stuff plate mentioned here. It's available in all black, one piece construction and is a little thicker than the SWMoto plate.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Haven't seen the AMoto Stuff plate mentioned here. It's available in all black, one piece construction and is a little thicker than the SWMoto plate.
I currently have the AMotostuff skidplate and I like it. On my first v-strom I had the older style SW-Motech plate. The AMotostuff plate is definitely beefier and thicker then the SW-Motech plate. I also like the rear mounting screw location on the Amotostuff better since it has screws on the side of the plate versus on the bottom (SW-Motech) where they could get banged up and sheared off.

Adventure MotoStuff Aluminum Engine Protector V2.0 -Suzuki DL650/1000 V-Strom

I've taken my v-strom on many trails, and 4x4 roads where I've definitely contacted the plate due to a lack of ground clearance (compared to my friend on her KLR anyway) and the plate's held up spectacularly.

P.S. I like the new re-designed SW-Motech rally crashbars. They kind of flair out slightly at the top and this seems to help keep the windscreen and cowling plastics away from the ground when the bike takes a nap.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
P.S. I like the new re-designed SW-Motech rally crashbars. They kind of flair out slightly at the top and this seems to help keep the windscreen and cowling plastics away from the ground when the bike takes a nap.
I just ordered these. I like the look also. I was going to order the Givi's, but i've read where some people were having a lot of trouble with vibration and noise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just fitted the new style SW-M crash bars on the weekend.

Only one real complaint was that I found the bolts in the kit to be slightly to short for my taste and needed to be aprox 5mm longer to make best use of the bolt hole in the bike frame. That and the thin crappy washers being soft prevented me from torquing up the bolts correctly, the washer just deformed until it was digging into the hole in the mounting plate of the crash bar.

I went down to the local bolt shop and got myself some good quality washers and some slightly longer hex head bolts and all fitted up now.

Other than the little concern, appears to be a well made bit of gear with good clear instructions and fits the bike spot on

·
Registered
598 Posts
That's fine. I just wouldn't want to be the guy that proves or disproves that statment while pinning the throttle coming out of a sweeper and doing about 65 on the pavement.

I wouldn't even want to prove that doing 20 on a tight turn. Anything that potentially puts me on the pavement while riding is something I want to avoid.

My buddy fixed it by taking two inches off each side I believe.
I guess that is a matter of risk management. I question that if Yann's folding pegs were to drag, they would resist enough to cause any substantial loss of traction. I also like the turned-up edges at the ends, which I suppose you would lose when cutting them. To me, the benefit is worth my assessment of the risk.

·
Registered
808 Posts
What are the "new style" motech bars? When did they change? Bought mine in Feb, but they were scratch 'n dent, so more likely to be older. Just curious, no complaints on mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts