StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have comments about how the SW Motech skidplate is mounted? I am thinking about getting one from twisted throttle, but I am unsure of the mounting scheme. I don't think I like the concept of having to remove the side case screws. It seems a better design would be to tie into the crash bars as on the previous version???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
When looking at skid plates I saw this too and didn't like the concept. I have the Givi Bars , yesterday I got a really nice looking baskplate made by Narcosisjunky. The front of the plat is fastened to the Givi, covering exhaust and oilfilter nicely, also the engine is protected, not used as a mounting point. And it also seems to work with a centerstand. I'm thinking of getting rid of my Motek and replacing it with a Narcosisjunky. Just for the visual alone :yesnod:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did not like the mounting of the swmotech either so I bought the enduro guardian made by a board member Yann.. [email protected]

I bought the stainless steel but he also sells aluminum snd steel. It is a quality piece and it fits perfect. Mounts on my swmotech crash bars and uses a mounting bracket under the bike which does NOT interfere with my centerstand...

·
Registered
588 Posts
I did not like the mounting of the swmotech either so I bought the enduro guardian made by a board member Yann.. [email protected]

I bought the stainless steel but he also sells aluminum snd steel. It is a quality piece and it fits perfect. Mounts on my swmotech crash bars and uses a mounting bracket under the bike which does NOT interfere with my centerstand...
X2!

Yann is super to deal with and his plate mounts up to the Givi bars and heavy duty rear mount perfectly. 10 minute install and it can handle the abuse. :thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought it and installed it sunday afternoon--knowing full well that I would not be testing the limits of it's integrity as I wanted a dirt road bike and nothing more.

Make sure you eat your Wheaties before trying to loosen the kickstand bolts!!! :yesnod:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently fitted the SW-Motech skid plate to my new 2012 V-Strom. I also agree the connection to the sideplates seems 'not so good'. I didn't like undoing the new bolts. I was also a bit nervous reinstalling them into the aluminium housing, as I didn't have a torque wrench.

Overall, the Motech does seem very sturdy though. Nicely built and accurately measured.

One of the side stand bolts was a terror to get out. It hung on with great resistence to the very last turn. I suggest wearing some gloves to save the knuckles if spanner or socket slips.

I also fitted the Motec Crash Bars. They seem okay, but nothing extraordinary.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the SW Mototech plate on my 2012 also and one of the reason's I purchased it was I did not want crash bars on this bike. It mounts at four locations, the rear two being via brackets, and seems quite solid. I have jacked up my bike with a motorcycle jack under the plate and nothing bent. However, if a rider plans on aggressive off-pavement riding one of the plates that mounts to the crash bars might be better. Happy Trails is in the process of developing a product line for this bike and IMHO their stuff is always worth considering (don't know if they have a skid plate yet; I just received my luggage rack last week).

In my case I don't plan to ride this bike on anything more knarly than Forest Service two tracks - no vaulting over downed tree trucks or boulders on this bike, at least for me, and I think the Mototech plate is more than adequate for my uses.

Mike
www.rtwrider.net

1 - 9 of 9 Posts