StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a Madstad bracket (finally....). I currently have the SW Motech GPS mount for my Garmin 2610. Will this mount still fit up correctly with the Madstad? Anyone have this combo?? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I do not have that mount, but from looking at the pictures you should have no problem fitting it on a madstad bracket. It lines up with the original screw holes and remains narrower than the madstad.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
This is a mount fabricated from 1" rectangular aluminum tube stock purchased at HD and painted. Had to buy 3' so I have most of it left for other projects.

Replaced the standard RAM bar mount with a flat one that bolted on with 1/4-20 x 2" carriage bolts. This setup is very rigid and puts the Zumo right up over the instruments where it's easy to see and hit the buttons.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I finally got the Madstad bracket too. I am using a Garmin 276C which is a big box of a GPS but is one of the most robust available. The size of the GPS makes it a little difficult to get to the Madstad knobs but it is dooable with minimal finger smudges on the inside of the windshield.

It may seem obvious to some, but it took some extra thought for me to realize that with the Madstad, you don't need to use the silver stand-offs that come with the Motech bracket. Especially if you have a large GPS unit like mine.

In barrel nuts we trust.......

·
Registered
52 Posts
SW Motech GPS Mount & Madstad

Yep, I have the SW Motech GPS Mount and a Madstad to run my Tomtom Rider 2. The combo works fine.

Dougal

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wow, Cheff, that's a lot of hardware between the SW Motech mount and the Zumo. Why so much - what does it all do? Can't you go directly from the Motech mount to the Zumo cradle? Educate us.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
yes you could go from the Motech mount to the cradle, but you will have to drill some hole on the motech mount of make an adapter plate.

Also when I put it right to the motech mount it vibrated much more. (I know it does not make sense) and it was to far out of my reach.

So I have the ram mount with a locking knob so they cant steel the Zumo or Cradle, to the ram mount I mounted a Touratech locking mount to have my Zumo even more secure.

It is an easy reach to the Zumo the way I have it mounted, and with all that security plus my alarm, I dont worry about someone walking away with it at a gas station etc.

·
Registered
273 Posts
yes you could go from the Motech mount to the cradle, but you will have to drill some hole on the motech mount of make an adapter plate.

Also when I put it right to the motech mount it vibrated much more. (I know it does not make sense) and it was to far out of my reach.

So I have the ram mount with a locking knob so they cant steel the Zumo or Cradle, to the ram mount I mounted a Touratech locking mount to have my Zumo even more secure.

It is an easy reach to the Zumo the way I have it mounted, and with all that security plus my alarm, I dont worry about someone walking away with it at a gas station etc.
Thanks, Cheff. I've got a Zumo on the way and am trying to figure how to mount it.Josh at Twisted Throttle told me that the Zumo cradle was Ram - B - 238 compatible and therefore could be mounted directly to the SW Motech mount. Do you think he's mistaken? In any event, it sounds like I will probably want something that gets the unit a bit closer to me.

What is the Garmin Lock anti-theft feature on the unit? Is that just an electronic lock that prevents others from using it? I take it from your setup that there is no mechanical lock on the unit as provided by Garmin. Is that right? What is the function of the "security screwdriver" that Garmin says in included in the box? I had presumed this was related to some kind of secure screw heads used to install the unit. Sorry for all the questions, but the Garmin website doesn't provide too much detail on these items.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Sorry, the Zumo cradle will fit just fine on the Motech shelf, but I needed an adaptor plate for the Touratech mount.

The screw is to keep the Zumo in the mount while moving. It does provide some security, but not much. Especially if you are using a Ram mount with the normal butterfly nut, the thief could just undo the nut and take the Zumo and cradle with the Zumo still screwed in. That why I got the locking knob to secure the cradle, and TT mount to secure the Zumo both are keyed.

Garmin lock is a password you put in, that way the unit is inoperable by the thief.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses. I got the Madstad installed tonight, and it works just fine with the Motech GPS mount. Great product, went on a quick blast on the freeway to test it out, and nice clean airflow.....

·
Registered
273 Posts
I installed my Zumo the way others have reported - Zumo cradle with the attached round base plate and RAM arm (which comes in the Zumo box) to a purchased RAM ball on a little diamond shaped plate which in turn attaches to the Motech mount. Goes together just fine and puts the Zumo in a great position. But it didn't take very long at all to get tired of the Zumo bouncing every time I hit the slightest bump. After fiddling with a few fruitless ideas to provide some more support for the cradle, I gave up and stripped off the all the RAM hardware, including the round base plate from the cradle, and then attached just the cradle directly to the Motech mount. There are four mounting screws for the cradle which line up perfectly with 4 holes in the Motech bracket. I put a small rubber washer between the cradle and the Motech bracket on each of the mounting screws.

I adjusted the angle on the Motech mount so that the bottom of the cradle is firmly pressed against a small rubber pad glued to the top of the plastic cowling above the instrument cluster. The resulting angle is only a little flatter than I would have liked, so to improve it, I placed 2 additional rubber washers on each of the top two mounting screws. This tips the face of the unit so that you are looking at it close to perpendicularly (puts the face of the Zumo at an angle that is close to the angle of the instrument cluster). I'm 6 feet tall and this produced a very acceptable viewing angle for me. If you do this, make sure you don't crank the bolts too much as they are stainless steel and a bit delicate and will bend since the two extra washers mean that the hardware no longer lines up perfectly. Don't ask me how I know.

This makes the Zumo solid as a rock. Absolutely no bounce and, because of the washers, no vibration either. In this position it is impossible to get at the nylock nuts at the back of the Motech plate without removing the windshield first, and trying to unscrew the mounting bolts that are visible on the face of the cradle without first getting a wrench on the nuts is impossible. Granted, the Zumo itself is no longer lockable (other than for the security screw on the unit), but with what you save in RAM hardware and that pricey Touratech locking mount, hell you can almost buy another Zumo if you forget to remove it and it gets pinched.

This puts the unit pretty much dead centre (actually about 1/4 inch to the left of centre) between the madstadt arms. Madstadt adjustment is still possible, but obviously no longer quite as conveniently.

If you go this route, note that you will no longer be able to mount a radar shelf.

Here are some pics:

View of Zumo from normal riding position

View thru windshield showing Zumo cradle mounted directly to Motech mount - note extra rubber washers used to increase viewing angle.

View from side to show Zumo viewing angle relative to angle of instrument cluster. Note that the bottom of the cradle rests firmly on the plastic surround of the instrument panel (small rubber pad inserted between cradle and surround.

RAM mount parts that were removed (caused too much bounce)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread here courtesy of the stromtrooper search tool.

I want to use my sw motech gps bracket, with my Givi/Madstad combo. I don't want to use the highest windshield position. Has anyone had any luck with the middle positions? If so what did you do? I have a Garmin Nuuvi that is rectangular.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts