StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All - newbie here. Fortunate to have just purchased my first bike! - White 2011 DL650!!!! whaooo!

I plan on riding off road a bit and due to my lack of experience it is probable (hope not) that I drop my bike somewhere along the line. So I want some crashbars. I like what I read about the SW-Motech's.

MY QUESTION - while people want the bar up high to further protect do these bars enter you knee space? Are you riding with your knee touching the bars? If yes are there any out there that do the job but don't enter this area? Possible?

Thanks!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
All - newbie here. Fortunate to have just purchased my first bike! - White 2011 DL650!!!! whaooo!

I plan on riding off road a bit and due to my lack of experience it is probable (hope not) that I drop my bike somewhere along the line. So I want some crashbars. I like what I read about the SW-Motech's.

MY QUESTION - while people want the bar up high to further protect do these bars enter you knee space? Are you riding with your knee touching the bars? If yes are there any out there that do the job but don't enter this area? Possible?

Thanks!
32" inseam with SW Motech bars, no interference.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The rider's knees don't reach the cowling area.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses.

One more question. I have access to the prior version of the SW Motech bar - the one that has the long bolt that goes all the way through.

Any opinions on that? Should I just go for the newer version?

Thanks

·
38,103 Posts
One more question. I have access to the prior version of the SW Motech bar - the one that has the long bolt that goes all the way through.
That's what is on my bike in the picture. I like it because it makes removing the cowlings easy and I like the looks of it. I don't like the tube running across the cowling. The higher types are a bit better at protecting the plastic but not really that much. Both will save the radiator and keep you from the possibility of being stranded after a low side drop. Add frame sliders from SVRacingparts.com and there is very good protection without looking like the bike is in a cage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greywolf - thanks for your input - one more question - Will the long bolt that is included in the older style bars work with fram sliders? Don't they mount in the same location? Would I need a different bolt?

·
38,103 Posts
A new threaded rod with nuts is supplied with the slider kit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
36" inseam here and no interference with the guards.
BTW, got a set of the older style for sale if you're interested...($80)

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
That's what is on my bike in the picture. I like it because it makes removing the cowlings easy and I like the looks of it. I don't like the tube running across the cowling. The higher types are a bit better at protecting the plastic but not really that much. Both will save the radiator and keep you from the possibility of being stranded after a low side drop. Add frame sliders from SVRacingparts.com and there is very good protection without looking like the bike is in a cage.
Can you still get the "old style" crash bars?

·
38,103 Posts
Can you still get the "old style" crash bars?
I know of no way to get new ones. If I had a new bike, I'd go with Altrider.com for low profile guards.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The Altriders are $100 more though. I think i'm still going to go for the Motech's although i'd like a shorter bar.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I'm six six with no problems at all

·
Registered
15,601 Posts
I got the old ones from DRxDR and had them mounted in about 20 minutes. Pre-pranged for the very adventurous look! I be Stromming! :hurray:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts