StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, my bike tipped over in the garage today. :furious:

Not a big deal except my SW-Motech crash bars bent. WTF. I guess this is "normal" based on some searching I have done around the forum. But really....$220 for one time use crash protection. I can understand a crash while riding, but this is a little ridiculous. Had there been any more force applied, they would have pushed into the plastics near the radiator probably causing more damage than had the bars not even been there. I'm even thinking that the plastic around the tank wouldn't even have been damaged without the bars there. I'm not impressed with the quality of this product. :thumbdown:

Are the crash bars from Givi, Alt Rider, Hepco & Becker the same quality/expectation to bend on the slightest contact with the ground as the SW-Motech?

Here are some pics.

Left Side (side the bike fell on)

Right Side (I think it may be sticking out farther than before. That would make logical sense considering what happened)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow... The OE Adventure bars are SW-Motech, aren't they?

Maybe I shoulda just gotten a bare V-Strom and put on crash bars that aren't SW-Motech.
I'd think that they should survive a non-moving tip over with no damage.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Wow... The OE Adventure bars are SW-Motech, aren't they?

Maybe I shoulda just gotten a bare V-Strom and put on crash bars that aren't SW-Motech.
I'd think that they should survive a non-moving tip over with no damage.

I dropped my 2012 Adventure a couple times :yikes: and the engine guards did their job with minimal fuss AND no bending.

·
Registered
503 Posts
That stinks. Since the mount mounts are pretty distant from the furthest point the lever arm is pretty long and I can see an impact taking advantage of that.

My bet is with the design of the ALTRIDER bar and the one I will likely get.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe ask the seller ( or manufacturer) if they will replace it. I'm guessing that a static drop like you said should not have done that.

Brian

·
Registered
394 Posts
400 plus pound bike. All force concentrated on a crash bar made of metal with 2 weld points.

Bar needs to bend so that it doesn't crack.

Dropped on concrete. No where else for the energy to go.

No high cost damage to the plastics.

Sounds like it did it's job.

Bend back and go riding.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine look about the same as a result of a very low speed crash while making a turn on loose gravel awhile back. I have tried bending them back out with no luck. You would have to restrain the bike by the frame to exert enough force to bend the guard back out. If anyone has a method please share!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Concrete is less forgiving than dirt, and you were not on the bike to slow it's fall or to add a fleshy buffer betwixt floor and machine. I'm not surprised that they bent.

You'd likely have more positive results if the bike went over onto earth, and /or you weren't a clutz.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Concrete is less forgiving than dirt, and you were not on the bike to slow it's fall or to add a fleshy buffer betwixt floor and machine. I'm not surprised that they bent.

You'd likely have more positive results if the bike went over onto earth, and /or you weren't a clutz.
This actually makes sense and us the best explanation I have heard. Thanks for the logical insight.

And BTW, I'm not the clutz. My wife actually slowly backed into the back of the bike while parking in the garage. Where my Givi top case hit the back of her car actually put a softball sized dent in her car. So I have two vehicles to fix now. :headbang:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Even the price of new crash bars is less than the price of new plastics and also much easier to install. It did its job. One other thought is to also install the SVRacing frame sliders... they make some that will work with the crash bars. Gives you a more solid spot to take the impact of the fall and will still leave the crash bars to protect the plastics. The SVRacing frame slider is around $90. I actually took my OEM crash bars off and am just running the frame sliders now. Here is the link. http://www.svracingparts.com/products/#!/~/product/category=597465&id=2228302 And in the event that you drop it and scuff/grind down the delrin sliders they are cheaper to replace than a set of crashbars.

Now just push it over on the other side to bend it back! :green_lol: Kidding... kidding...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Mine look about the same as a result of a very low speed crash while making a turn on loose gravel awhile back. I have tried bending them back out with no luck. You would have to restrain the bike by the frame to exert enough force to bend the guard back out. If anyone has a method please share!

Mine are slightly bent from a driveway drop (Suzuki bars). This winter I'll remove them, try to bend them a bit by clamping each half in a big vise, sand the scuffed area, paint to match the frame/tank, and reinstall with rubber in the front joint. The factory bars are a tan metallic. I have some bare steel on a passenger footpeg from a loose tiedown strap, so I need to get paint from ColorRite for that anyway. Meanwhile, they did their job and continue to do so.

I agree with the OP on Altrider. For $300 you get 1" diameter stainless instead of 3/4" carbon steel. Frame sliders sound even better though. Lots of good options.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Know what the crash bars are for? when your a moron like me and crash at 40mph in the gravel

Picked it up and rode it to work the next day, My back didn't agree with me :headbang:

But, what everyone else has said, it's cheaper then the plastics. Not a scratch on my plastics, one bent lever. A lot better the not having it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just drop it on the other side and it will bend back. :biggrinjester:

I have the same crash bars, and I had dropped it a few times in the dirt, they move (bend) a little, but I would have significant body damage if I did not have my sw-motech bars.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a similar experience with the SW-Motech bars on my old Wee. I was surprised and disappointed by how badly they were bent by a very low speed drop on the street. They deformed enough on impact that the fairing still got scratched up in the fall. I realized they're mostly for show. At least I was able to bend them back easily with a few hard yanks on the impact side. Given the weight, vibration issues and lack of real world efficacy, I haven't put bars on the new DL650. Sliders, maybe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had a similar experience with the SW-Motech bars on my old Wee. I was surprised and disappointed by how badly they were bent by a very low speed drop on the street. They deformed enough on impact that the fairing still got scratched up in the fall. I realized they're mostly for show. At least I was able to bend them back easily with a few hard yanks on the impact side. Given the weight, vibration issues and lack of real world efficacy, I haven't put bars on the new DL650. Sliders, maybe.
Do it! No vibe problem, stiffer then the crash bars, price is cheaper, and while riding you can stretch your leg over top and use it as a rest. :thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
NWArkie, don't do that to the frame, (I wouldn't at least, unneeded stress) take it off and use a vise and bend it back that way. You said it didn't take much to bend, so it shouldn't need much to go back ;)
My bike fell over in the driveway (lowered suspension for my short ass without shortened kickstand and right saddlebag overloaded and heavy) a front directional broke, eBay $25 for set of 4, done. Only other damage was left saddlebag was scratched. I have since shortened the kickstand

1 - 20 of 31 Posts