StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just searched the achives on this subject but didn't really find anything, hence the new thread.

Just installed a SW Motech centerstand yesterday, no challenges getting it all bolted up, the fit is great and the bike virtually leaps onto the stand as it is so easy to use. However, as soon as I first put it up onto the stand in my garage, I was concerned with how "wobbly" overall the bike seemed. There just seems to be a lot of flex between the stand and the bike.

As a point of reference, I'm used to BMW centerstands which are as solid when deployed as the Rock of Gibraltar. I'm not concerned that the Strom will fall off the SW Motech unit, but it just does not have as solid a feel as what I'm used to. I actually took the bike down off the stand and checked the four mount bolts again for tightness, as something just seemed to be loose but they were all torqued up properly. Is this normal for those with the SW Motech unit, or should I truly be concerned that something funky is going on here?

Doesn't appear that I'll have any cornering clearance issues with the stand - I already routinely scrape the peg feelers in corners and am hoping that the stand doesn't detract from that at all.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I've never owned a BMW so I have no basis for comparison, but I've had the SW-Motech stand on two VStroms and both were solid as could be. Matter of fact I mount and dismount the bike by standing up on the footpegs and there's no wobble at all.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Mine is solid as well. When I rock forward to get underway it doesn't feel the least bit unstable.

Please pardon the silly question, but you didn't forget to put in the spacers did you? :shock:

- Martin

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Martin said:
Please pardon the silly question, but you didn't forget to put in the spacers did you? :shock:

- Martin
Almost! It took me a few minutes of figuring out the diagram to decide that the spacers were to go between the SW brackets and the bike's mount point.

After wrenching on the bike yesterday while it was on the centerstand, I have to say that it really is stable enough, just still not as solid as BMWs. On the Strom, if I take hold of one of the passenger grab handles and gentle move it the handlebars will move back and forth and the whole bike wiggles a bit. Maybe I overreacted with my original post when I first saw that, because it's different than what I was used to. I know the installation is correct, so I'll just go back to enjoying the Strom now!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My brother has a BMW R1150R. When on its center stand the bike leaned toward the rear. The Strom I noticed leans forward due to its lengthyness. I have found that it is easier to raise than the R1150's. Probably because it is only lifting more of the rear end.

I just put mine on last week. I had doubts going into it that it wouldn't be very stable laterally but I feel ok with it after putting it on. My garage is very flat, so there was no great test. I feel like a good enough push is required to get it off the stand. I think someone should come up with a lock for them to immobilize them from coming down upon an accidental bump, etc. I would be afraid to leave any bike unattended around kids(probably because my two boys, 5 and ~3, are so crazy).

Do use a torque wrench since the info was given to tighten as well as retighten after 20-30 miles.
-Brian

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I guess mine is somewhat stable ON A FLAT SURFACE.

The only thing I use mine for is chain maintenance and rear wheel removal.

It doesn't drag in corners because it's narrow. Narrow is not as stable.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
BrianS..........Have a lowered Wee. It is a chore to get up on the center stand with loaded bags, but on the plus side I can rock it front or rear to check the tires for damage after a ride.

·
Registered
961 Posts
jackpiner57 said:
I guess mine is somewhat stable ON A FLAT SURFACE.

The only thing I use mine for is chain maintenance and rear wheel removal.

It doesn't drag in corners because it's narrow. Narrow is not as stable.
It may not drag in the corners but if you go off road it will drag everywhere else, it sits down about 1 1/4" lower than suzuki and will hit on every rock.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Does an older BMW count as a reference? If it does then I can say that my Strom is every bit as stable as my beemer. In fact I like the Motech stand better than the one on the ole 77.

I put my Strom up on the center stand whenever the ground is level enough.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
rotorhead said:
Doesn't appear that I'll have any cornering clearance issues with the stand - I already routinely scrape the peg feelers in corners and am hoping that the stand doesn't detract from that at all.
If the bike is lowered via dog bone links, you will scrap the SW stand in left corners but only after the footpeg is fully bent up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The stand has worked well for me but I have noticed that if there is the slightest forward incline the bike easily rolls forward off the stand causing one to end up shopping for replacement turn signals.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Find yourself a strap of velcro. When you park the bike in a questionable spot, wrap the velcro strip around the brake lever and the handlebar, effectively making a parking brake. You can see mine below, wrapped around my handlebar risers when not in use. Simple!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts