StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got it in the mail and the lack of real directions isn't a problem for the most part. However, it came with two springs. The pictures only show one. One is two inches in diameter the other is 1.5. They are the same length.

Which one is the right one?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe the smaller one fits inside of the larger one. I'm not at home right now, so can't verify that, but I'm fairly sure that's accurate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Been dealing with the same issue and jjenkins34 is correct.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Small spring goes inside the big spring, it is a bit of a PITA to install the springs. I took a screwdriver and put the hook parts of the spring around the screwdriver then kind of pried the springs down over that little bit they attach to......it's alot easier to do than explain. It took me three or four tries but they went on there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Although it may be tempting to try and attach the spring while the stand is down and the bike is sitting on it, you'll never get the spring stretched far enough in that position (its longest travel).

I used a pair of ViseGrips to pull the rear end of the spring into place, and like others have stated, it's a bitch.

-T

·
Registered
387 Posts
A tidbit from another site:

This is for putting the spring on the stand in the up position.

Take a heavy shoelace or similar and tie it to one of the spokes of your rear wheel. Now hook the springs on the front knob, loop the string/lace/whatever through the back hooks of the spring and pull back. The spring will act like a pulley so you get a 2-1 mechanical advantage, which makes pulling the SOB waaaaaay easier.

I'm still waiting for my knuckles to heal from trying to do it with pliers and screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Don't use pliers, as you don't want to knick the spring and give it a eventual failure point.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I pulled those springs with a shoelace and they popped right on, easy peasy.

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
+1 on shoelace method. After 4 hours of wrestling with those damn springs I finally checked this site and figured out how to do it. Done in less than a minute, on the first try.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
how about a few words comparing the SW-Motech centerstand to the Suzuki equivalent. is one better than the other? i need a centerstand and would appreciate input on which i should lay out my hard-earned dinero on.

TIA ...

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Opinion of Suzuki CenterStand.

I like it very much.

I have had centerstands that required real muscle to use, for example the 1979 CB-750. I think that stand is poorly designed, because the 1991 750 Nighthawk has a much easier centerstand to operate.

The Suzuki CenterStand for the DL650 is between those two extremes. I am 64 years old, and I can hoist my bike, with over 100 pounds of cargo, onto the centerstand with confidence.

Two cautions, probably applicable to all centerstands:

1. Put LocTite on the threads, lest you lose some bolts. I lost two bolts, and the bike was courteous enough to shed one in my driveway, calling attention to its plight. Thank you, Colorado!

2. Make sure the bolts on which the stand hinges are loose enough and well enough lubricated that the stand retracts fully and always. On my first ride, the stand did not retract fully, and the first corner was accomplished with a very frightening scrrrrape!

I know nothing about other stands for the V-Strom.
Keith

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
I've only got the SW-Motech on my bike. I'm quite happy with it, so I'm not going to replace it with the factory centerstand.

Bike lifts up very easily. The 650 isn't a very heavy bike, in the grand scheme of things (also got an XS1100, now THAT takes some effort to centerstand).

I've heard tell- and maybe a search for 'centerstand' will show this- that the Motech stand sticks out on the left side farther than the Suzuki stand and can drag on corners before the pegs do. I've also heard that the Suzuki centerstand is narrower than the Motech stand and therefore is a bit more unstable.

For me, the Motech stand was cheaper than the Suzuki stand, so I bought that one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sw-motech Centerstand Install

Just Installed A Sw-motech Centerstand Piece Of Cake Thanks To The Heads Up On Using A T- Handle Allen Wrench And The Boot Lace Trick Thanks A Lot Guys!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts