StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Check to see if the suspension links are shorter than the stock 140mm. The stand should not do that. Another possibility is the stand was shortened for a lowered bike.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check to see if the suspension links are shorter than the stock 140mm. The stand should not do that. Another possibility is the stand was shortened for a lowered bike.
Brand new stand from Twisted Throttle and brand new bike... :)

And SW Motech doesn't make a shortened center stand for the DL650.

·
38,104 Posts
If everything is new, I have no idea how that could happen. Do measure the links anyway.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
check your rear preload setting

When on the center stand the rear tire still touches the ground... I don't remember it doing this on my 2006?

Normal? Sure would like about a 1/2 inch more clearance...
it affects the suspension geometry ( I have my preload set to zero so that my duck feet can waddle on the ground)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it affects the suspension geometry ( I have my preload set to zero so that my duck feet can waddle on the ground)
By clearance I mean tire off the ground when on the center stand... Shock preload does not affect clearance when on the center stand.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
Hmmm......

Maybe as a last resort fix, add 1/2" shims under each centerstand "feet". I wouldn't want to have to do that on a new bike + new stand, but I guess it would work?? :confused:

·
Registered
317 Posts
So is your bike sitting higher than stock or something?

Does it lean over more than avg on the side stand?

That's pretty strange.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So is your bike sitting higher than stock or something?

Does it lean over more than avg on the side stand?

That's pretty strange.
Not that I can tell - Looks just the same as my buddy's bike... Probably a Monday-morning/Friday afternoon center stand... :)

If you do the triangulation calculation between the stand, front tire and rear tire, just an 1/8" of an inch can make a big difference in rear tire clearance.

I seriously doubt I have a brand-new unique DL650: But that's their position... :(

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update for all...

A borrowed OEM Suzuki stand works fine (at least a 1/4" of clearance).

I am going to have two larger pads welded to the bottom of my SW-Motech stand because compared to another's, mine is is little over 3/16th of an inch shorter fom center of the pin to the bottom of the pads.

Plus - their pads are a little small for my taste.

So somehow mine was jigged up incorrectly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is short too

I also put a brand new SW motech center stand on my wee and the rear tire also drug the ground. I put the stand on before I lowered the bike with the Kevin Baker links. After the lowering job the rear tire was at the correct height. I assume that SW made the stand with lowered bikes in mind.

·
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also put a brand new SW motech center stand on my wee and the rear tire also drug the ground. I put the stand on before I lowered the bike with the Kevin Baker links. After the lowering job the rear tire was at the correct height. I assume that SW made the stand with lowered bikes in mind.
Sounds like you got a Monday morning/Friday afternoon stand too.. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Murphs centerstand

I just put on a morphs center stand, went on easy. Question, what position should I have the side stand in when raising and lowering? Seem like it could become a problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts