StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently installed a SW motech center stand on my new to me 2009 v-strom 650. The install went fine, but there was no place to put my bump stop. I've circled the bracket and parts I'm talking about. Any ideas on solutions so my center stand sits where it's supposed to?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Colorado.

Is your exhaust stock? There seems to be a missing bracket on the exhaust pipes and I have no solution short of fabricating one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if the exhaust is stock, I bought the bike used. I'm assuming the previous owner either replaced the exhaust or removed the bracket from the stock exhaust. The exhaust looks stock to me. I'm wondering if I could add some kind of rubber piece in the middle so the stand is not metal on metal when retracted

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
The original bracket is welded to the exhaust pipe (at least on my K6), not that it couldn't be removed. In your pic I don't see any evidence of it so thought maybe an after market exhaust.

I don't see why you couldn't add a rubber bumper else where to prevent metal on metal. You wouldn't want to attach it directly to the exhaust though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Your bracket definitely appears to be missing.

You could probably fab something up pretty easily.

For instance, a muffler clamp with the flat bracket part facing the kickstand IF you can find one for pipe that small.
Or, you could fab a piece of metal in a wide flat U shape and use two stainless pipe clamps to hold it on.

If you can find one sturdy enough, a pipe hanger clamp similar to the image below. You could bolt something into it for the stop . IF you were using the centerstand all the time it might be a concern if you used this type of clamp. I'd worry about it beating up and wearing out the pipe over time. But I've seen ones that are much sturdier and would take the brunt of the force. IF you were leaving the sidestand up most of the time and just using if for maintenance purposes not sure that would be as concerning.

I suspect someone on here or ADVRIDER has a solution they've posted in the past, Maybe a search on "centerstand aftermarket exhaust" would get you a good return.

Good luck
JD

Attachments

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Looks like there's a hole in the stand where the little rubber pad is mounted to the stand.

How about putting a long bolt through the hole, backed with a washer and nut, and find some kind of rubber bumper you can attach to the end of the bolt. You just have to choose the right length to stop the stand where you want. It's what I would try because it's only a few bucks at the hardware store.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the idea of running a bolt trough the hole where the rubber pad is melted, but that would leave whatever rubber bumper I attach resting on the exhaust. I don't want a melted rubber bumper on my exhaust.

jdfrog, thanks for the input. I did poke around the forums a bit here, and didn't see any specific solutions to my problem, but maybe I didn't look around long enough. If I have time, I may try to fab something up.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to leave a bolt head up against the pipe. You would hear it tap now and then going over a large bump, but otherwise it would just rest there. Or put a bit up heat wrap on the pipe where the rubber pad/bolt head would sit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts