StromTrooper banner

sw-motech 38L top box question

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jerryscove 
#1 ·
I have a tight parking spot. I want a top case. I like the SW motech aluminum cases. I'm worried about the added length to the bike.

Can anyone tell me how far this box sticks out over the rear fender. How much length does the box add to the bike?

#2 ·
Looks like no one knows. Bummer.

#4 ·
Take it off when you're done.
Now why didn't I think of that?
I don't know about the Motech, but the Suzuki top box takes me about 2 seconds to remove.

#5 ·
I'm pretty sure that SW-Motech makes the Suzuki luggage. At least, that's what I've learned here about my side panniers. So, the SW-Motech will take you exactly as long to take of as the Suzuki, as they are the same. No?

Someone, I know, will correct this for me if I am wrong.

#6 ·
I have the SW-Motech top case (38L) mounted with the SW-Motech adapter plate. The locking bracket to the mounting plate (the piece furthest back) is about flush with the license plate light and reflector. BUT I have a K6 Wee so not sure if yours will be the same.

Mine is a real snug fit and removing it and re-installing it takes some effort and pounding with my hand. I am sure if I did it enough times it would loosen up but it's just easier for me to leave it on.

YMMV

#7 ·
Thanks for the info.

I ended up getting it. It ads a little length, but it's easy to get off as you've said.

Now I just need to come up with a lid stay solution. Or maybe they're completely unnecessary. I definitely can't allow myself to spend 38 dollars on two lengths of wire.

Overall I think the box seems a little shoddy. I expected more for a $400 aluminum box.

#9 · (Edited)
SW Motech top case

Stalky Tracker

"Mine is a real snug fit and removing it and re-installing it takes some effort and pounding with my hand. I am sure if I did it enough times it would loosen up but it's just easier for me to leave it on."

It will loosen up at the front, mine has and I've left mine on for 33,000 kms. I have to use a shim to keep it tight in the front. It's the old metal vs. plastic and we know who wins every time. You may also want to check the key lock mechanism and add some thread locking product as I've found the vibration will loosen the nut fastening the lock mechanism to the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.