Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 dl1000
I called Blair at SVRacing, he got me RaceTech front springs, front brake caliper upgrade, braided brake lines, Pit Bull stands sent to me quickly.
They are still building my Elka rear shock ; to my weight, I should get it soon.
I got the front springs/brakes installed, I had never done this before , a couple phone calls to Blair and he had me wrenching like a pro.
I can't tell you enough, how helpful Blair is. A real stand up guy.
He always answered his phone, even when out of his office, was always helpful and put up with me not having a clue as to what I was doing.
Blair's support alone was worth a lot. I've wrenched my stuff all my life, but I never did anything like this before.
How does it ride you ask?
Well, well, well:
OMG ! Like I bought a $20,000 motorcycle!
I weigh 250 pounds, just by myself, the stock suspension was seriously overwhelmed.
I bought my bike new; old stock, last spring. It only has 7,000 miles on it, so it ain't wore out, but seriously dangerous at anything above a snails pace.
Now:
The front end is planted, I mean rock solid , we dove into corners that felt like I was getting in to deep before, not now, just took a line and drove through the corner with no pucker at all. I could still feel the rear shock crying like a baby, but my new Elka shock should be here soon.
I have no affiliation with Blair or SVRacing, I'm just that impressed with them.
I have ridden bikes since 1976.
I can tell you, this is the best money I have ever spent on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having ran several 25, 30 mile errands on it now.
I am impressed more than I expected to be, with just the front fork springs.
Amazing how they don't just put higher quality parts on from the factory. It couldn't cost them more than a few dollars more.
Charge an extra $50 and give us the good parts from the factory.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I feel that the best and probably the safest farkle I did to my Vee was installing fork springs. My shock is maxed out and seems to be holding it's own for now but I still plan to upgrade it when I can.
Did you adjust the rebound any?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kept all the geometry the same. I am not familiar enough with setting up front ends yet, to make changes. So I basically just measured the stock springs and spacer, then I cut the new spacer to be the exact same length when measured with the new spring.
Very simple, but worked great.
I guess I will educate myself a little more when I install my Elka, new rear shock.
I doubt it will be as simple to set up. But you never know, I may get lucky!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I was referring to the screw on the rear shock. Look below the spring. Turn it clockwise until it bottoms out then back off 1 turn. Ride it. Back off another 1/4 turn and ride again. You should find a point where it feels the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts