StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a pretty happy owner of an '06 SV650S. But the Wee keeps calling me. My personality is much more mountain biker than speed-racer, and all the mods I've done to my bike are to make it more capable/comfortable for long hauls, touring, camping, etc.

I've read a lot of reviews and I know the spec differences between the two. But I'm asking for input from those who've ridden both for significant amounts of time. Any comments about the different feels? (I know that's really wide open - I'm inviting anything.)

I can only really afford one bike, so I'd have to sell my SV (or trade for a Wee). If anyone's interested in *that*, PM me. :fineprint:

·
Registered
875 Posts
My personality is much more mountain biker than speed-racer, and all the mods I've done to my bike are to make it more capable/comfortable for long hauls, touring, camping, etc.
The SV is a nice bike, sounds like you are trying to make it fit your needs which are more in line with what the Wee Strom does better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can't compare both bikes, but I've read enough on these forums to offer this bit of advice. You keep modding your SV to be more V-Strom like, but I think you would end up modding a Wee to be more SV like. For instance, you will find several threads talking about suspension on the stroms. Adjusting forks, adding cartridge emulators, replacing rear shocks, etc.

So, I guess you need to figure out witch one is closer to your riding style and and try and mod it the rest of the way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i Too was in your dilema a couple months back until i purchased my 07 wee about a month ago. Best decision ive made in a long time. i too found myself modding my sv for long trips and more comfort. when i rode the wee for the first time, i was sold and i bought it that day down in georgia. the wee has plenty of power and is also very fun on twistys. I will one day purchase another sv or a super sport to do trackdays but until then i can take my vstrom out there and learn more about it and still have fun. Riding positions are totally different to me.The only downside ive had with the wee thus far is the buffeting, which many others have, but can be fixed easily so its really not a downside any more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sold the sv and bought a wee. Best move ever! I found myself modding the sv to fit me for long trips...and finally decided I was going to put more money into the sv than if I sold it and bought a new to me wee!

The wee's been great...I haven't regretted it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I rode a 2001 SV/S for a short while and sold it. I found the pegs too high and the bars too low for my taste... but I love the motor.

Now I'm on my 2nd V-Strom 650 and love it! (I sold the first one when my wife got pregnant and I dropped back to just two bikes in the garage :( I bought my 2007 Wee last summer and have been getting reacquainted with the model)

The motor is so close to the SV's that I think you'd be hard pressed to notice much of a difference. The upright seating of the Wee is much more to my liking... and at 6'2" I no longer look like a squirrel humping the gas tank! The SV is great for smaller riders, but for tall folks? Not so much.

It's a very nice street bike and does well on gravel roads, etc. Anything more back-woodsy and I'd like a true dual sport, not this one that just been tagged by Suzuki's marketing dept.

I'm getting around 55mpg with a taller windshield and a gentle throttle wrist. :)

I think you'd be pretty happy with a V-Strom; I know I am.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My brother has a SV650, I have a DL650, We ride together sometimes and swap bikes once in a while. The SV engine has a better power peak and so feels quite a bit faster, and it is fun for a few miles. But after a short stint on the SV I can't wait to trade back to the DL650, mostly because of the ergo's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies everyone! :thumbup:

The thing with where I am now is that I invested in the SV enough to get it to where I am pretty happy with it and can do almost anything I want with it (except dirt/gravel roads). That, and I gotta say, it's pretty dang sexy (I'm single :yesnod: ).

Here she is:

So going to a V-Strom would probly be most like what eye.surgeon said - it would just be doing everything I like most "better." I don't think I'm picky enough about road carving performance to bother playing with the Wee's suspension - I hardly go above posted speeds in turns and yeah, leaning over is fun, but I worry too much about worst case scenarios to ever really take it anywhere near the limit.

So I think the question is, given I've already got the SV to where I want, is it still worth it to jump to a Wee? I think I'm long overdue for a test ride. :hurray: I'm also wondering if getting a Wee will just scratch this bike-buying itch and even if I decide I like the SV better and turn around and sell the Wee, I'll still appreciate the SV even more. Methinks that would be worth the time and money.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Wow - you've got some money invested in that SV. I had a naked '06 SV650 and sold it for a wee. I was looking for better ergos for long distance riding. With the wee I have more leg room and a better seat, I also like the handling better which is surprising. The SV was quicker and more fun, it also handled dirt roads well, as long as they were fairly smooth. Unless you hate the SV's ergos, I'd keep the SV.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I went from a nekid SV650 to the big Vee

I'm a big guy and the ergos of the little nekid SV were better. I found the 650 engine inadequate for LD riding, sure it can keep up highway speed all day and then some, but ya gotta crank the throttle to do it, The Vee is barely in top gear at highway speed. the other reason I wanted a strom was a larger bike that had more room for farkles & accessories

I didn't know till after I got it and went on a long ride that it wouldn't be as comfortable but I have made some adjustments and ergos are similar now, getting the handlebars closer was the biggest ergo change

I've also lowered the suspension, still a little higher than the SV, but the nekid SV was far better off road

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went from a nekid SV650 to the big Vee

I'm a big guy and the ergos of the little nekid SV were better. I found the 650 engine inadequate for LD riding, sure it can keep up highway speed all day and then some, but ya gotta crank the throttle to do it, The Vee is barely in top gear at highway speed. the other reason I wanted a strom was a larger bike that had more room for farkles & accessories

I didn't know till after I got it and went on a long ride that it wouldn't be as comfortable but I have made some adjustments and ergos are similar now, getting the handlebars closer was the biggest ergo change

I've also lowered the suspension, still a little higher than the SV, but the nekid SV was far better off road
I was kinda wondering when you'd chime in RandyO, I see you everywhere on both here and svrider.com. Did I read you right - the naked SV is better than the V-Strom off road? :confused: Are you thinking of engine size since you have the big V?

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I was kinda wondering when you'd chime in RandyO, I see you everywhere on both here and svrider.com. Did I read you right - the naked SV is better than the V-Strom off road? :confused: Are you thinking of engine size since you have the big V?
the nekid SV is 70 lbs lighter than the Wee and 100 lbs lighter than the Vee

when I say off road, I'm talking true off road , not gravel roads, the strom is just too damn big

the bigger engine is the only advantage when it comes to off road, it has more power just off idle and requires less clutch slipping

I don't think I will ever take my Vee in places like this

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am thinking the same thing. Currently have an SV1000S and have invested a lot in trying to make it more comfortable on long rides. Tall bars really helped but it is still not perfect. Considering the Spencer seat but now I am really leaning toward a wee. Better gas mileage has become more attractive. Never went as far as hard luggage but you could always swap it over.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What you'll gain, what you'll miss-

I went from a 1st gen SV naked to a ABS Wee.

The SV is a lightweight sporting bike, while the DL 650 is a lightweight touring bike with some dirt capability.

What you'll gain-
1. The riding position is more vertical than the SV N. It'll be significantly more so than your 2nd gen S. I don't feel as beaten up after 8 hours in the saddle.

2. It's more comfortable for you and the passenger- bigger seat, longer reach to the pegs, more space for luggage.

3. A big fuel tank.

4. It's tall. Sitting, you can look over cars. Standing, you can look over SUVs.

5. The longer wheelbase gives you a nice feeling of stability when you lose traction over bumps or a little bit of gravel.

What you'll lose-

1. That >6k rpm power hit that makes an SV get feisty. You know the SV heart is there, it's just mellowed out. It's still smooth, quiet and trouble free, but you'll miss that little hit. Inadvertent wheelies are now a thing of the past.

2. Agility- the SV is pretty telepathic in its handling. The DL is still agile, but not as magical as the SV. I can jump curbs now, but it took a year to do so confidently as I did with my SV. I know I'm beating up my rims and bearings. It's a city thing.

3. It can be unwieldy at low speeds until you get used to that big fuel tank and high seat. Flat-footing is difficult for me- I'm 5'8".

I'm happy with my DL. It's really competent, but I've learned to like it for what it isn't. It's not annoying after three hours in the saddle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Owned a Naked 07 SV650 and let it go to buy the 08 Wee.

The SV650 & Vstrom are both "great" bikes!!!!!!!!

Wanted a more comfortable bike for two-up and solo twisty riding. Really liked the SV650 engine, so that made the Vstrom choice easier.

Already had a KLR650 for fire road riding and rode the Vstrom on dry fire roads with 90/10 Bridgestone Battlewings without problems, except for dragging the SW Motech centerstand.

Since 99% of my Vstrom riding is on pavement, have found the Vstrom to perform fine on twistys with 80/20 DS tires two-up and solo keeping pace with with my "retired" friends riding SV650, FJR, Versys, and R1200GS.

As long as I stay under 60MPH the Vstrom gets 65MPG Solo and 60MPG two-up, a little better than the SV650.

Just purchased Pilot Roads for the front and will probably mount on the rear Pilot Road or BT-021 during the next tire change.

Had the front wheel Vstrom "head shake or wobble" and found loose steering head bearings. After I tightened the bearings the front Conti Road Attack with 3000 miles still wobbled until I mounted a Trailwing. The wobble went away.

Comfort won out on my Vstom/SV decision. :thumbup:

Here are some photos of a friend's "modified" SV650S:

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I vote Vstrom

My SV 650 was good but I find the handling /fit to my size much better on the DL1000. It has a longer wheel base than the SV. The 1000 is a much noisier engine than the 650 but I like the better 2 up ridability.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, I'm back to this same dilemma. I never took the plunge cuz of other business I had to take care of back in June. But now I'm looking around again and seeing what I can see, and man is the Wee tempting again. The only thing really keeping me from giving it a shot is worry that I'll really regret giving up the SV's agility for city riding/walking the bike around and, silly as it sounds, the small hit in mpg (Wee is rated at 51 and the SV at 54).

Still haven't taken a test drive, so that's the next step.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
//
So I think the question is, given I've already got the SV to where I want, is it still worth it to jump to a Wee? I think I'm long overdue for a test ride. :hurray: I'm also wondering if getting a Wee will just scratch this bike-buying itch and even if I decide I like the SV better and turn around and sell the Wee, I'll still appreciate the SV even more. Methinks that would be worth the time and money.
Well, I'm probably the wrong person to ask.....

You gotta ride it and see for yourself. At the 2008 Cromag rally, I rode for a day with a guy who had an SV set up kind of like yours. We swapped bikes for a while. Now he also has a V-Strom, and I also have an SV.....

I think most women would prefer to ride on the back of a V-Strom after age 22 or so, frankly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts