Strom Trooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 weeks ago I installed these SV Racing frame sliders

I thought I needed these since I wasn't comfortable handling the bike in low speed maneuvers. I had a very gentle drop the 2nd day of overship where I broke the front brake lever, but I thought I was getting better at handling, too. Was considering lowering links and such.

Anyway, the very next day after installing the sliders, I dropped it HARD at a unfamiliar light that happened to have a pretty severe right hand slope to the road. I got up with a bloody elbow and following are pictures of the damage done.

Small mark on tank

Not a good shot, but the right side of the handlebars definitely hit

My top case took a hit

and obviously the frame slider puck was involved

I hate to think how bad it would've been without the frame sliders. Feeling pretty lucky to have installed them the day before this drop.

I've since installed lowering links to drop the bike 3/4 inch front and back and I've had no more drops.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have the same sliders. So far I've not used them for anything but a leg rest on long rides.

Next. Get yourself some personal protection. Body parts aren't easily replaceable as your bike's parts.

;-)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have two protective jackets but it was SO FREAKING HOT (90+) that day, even the mesh one was very uncomfortable. Not a good excuse, I know.....

·
Registered
663 Posts
Gawd, I know how you feel. It's been hot as heck here too. Was 98° yesterday! I wore my mesh jacket and baked in the slow traffic zones. Today will be more of the same.

I'm done with road rash. I'll suffer the heat these days. Won't stop riding cuz of hot air. After all, it's just air, right? :lol:

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
491 Posts
We had a record setting 116 degrees here in Phoenix yesterday, really miserable. But ...back to your frame sliders, I too have the same sliders on my bike, never had to use them thankfully. However on my previous bike (Triumph) I accidentally tipped my bike over in the garage one day and did over $1000 in damage!!! It went over in slow motion and I couldn't catch it.
So, after that experience I figured the money for frame sliders was money well spent.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
This year I took my crashbars/skidplate/hiway pegs off and replaced them with these frame sliders. I saved a lot of weight, they work OK as hiway pegs, and I don't do off roading so felt the skid plate was overkill. I had a tip over when I had the crashbars on, they protected the radiator well, but the body work still took a hit. I think the sliders would have given more protection.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like the idea of the small strong sliders over the crash bars.If they provide the same or similar protection, and certainly weigh less,then why not.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
protect tank and plastics

in the real world of dropping the bike on a roadway or shoulder of the road, how often do they effectively protect the fuel tank and cowling area?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
in the real world of dropping the bike on a roadway or shoulder of the road, how often do they effectively protect the fuel tank and cowling area?
One 20mph drop on the road for me and those parts were untouched.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Thanks, GW

One 20mph drop on the road for me and those parts were untouched.
Thanks, GW

the cost of plastics adds up real fast on a dropped bike, so these might be good insurance for an old geezer.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I recently had a similar experience dropping the bike at zero mph onto gravel. I was on a slope, so the bike actually fell a little past horizontal to the downhill side. Even then, scratches were minor and limited to the crash post itself, the top box trim, and the mirror. Well worth it. I also ditched crash bars last year in favor of these.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Frame sliders in Australia

I am a firm believer in frame sliders, had them on my previous bike with a fairing only broke a mirror when it fell over. I ordered SV Racing sliders as soon as I got my Glee, 10 days delivery to my home in Australia and just over 30 minutes to install them. Great service and easily understood instructions from SV Racing. Hope they are never tested.Don't want to damage my baby.:yesnod:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts