StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Right now I have the SV1000S. Its a great bike, but kills me on longer runs ie 2-3 hours. My question-do I spend a small fortune converting the bike, bars, pegs, seat to make a bit more comfy or do I part ex for the Vee. I did have a 2003 model for a bit but found it very comfy but a bit sluggish. Are the newer ones a bit sharper. Any thoughtd out there??:weapons_90:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a Dl 1000 and my friend has a SV 650, I don't know how anyone could find comfort in that machine 1/2 an inch of seat foam, fast yes, comfort no, Get a Vee if you want comfort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI,

I had the thou, but because of the different engine set up it just felt sluggish, particularly at low revs, which I since learned a power commander would have fixed duh

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
When I went looking at for my bike I was looking at SV650s.
But the dealer had a DL650 on the floor, after sitting on both and going back and forth, I got the strom. Just feels like twice the bike.
I rode a friends sv650n after the fact and it just felt so tiny....
No regrets here.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I had my wee in the shop yesterday for the first service, and the dealer let me take out an 06 SV650s (with Yoshimura pipe, that was fun) to go get some lunch. It felt like a toy compared to the wee -- not in the sense of cheap or anything, but tiny and low to the ground. I'm barely 5' 10", and I felt like I had to fold myself up to ride it. Fun as hell, but uncomfortable as hell too.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I just traded my '06 SV650 for a V-STROM 650. After 24,000 miles on the SV I just needed more comfort. Yes, it's small and I tried 2 aftermarket seats which never completely fixed the sore butt problem. I had an idea to get a custom seat which would be thicker and wider, this would sit me up higher on the bike which is something I didn't want, I liked sitting down low even though I sacrificed leg room. It seems like I was fixing one problem and creating another, I was trying to turn it into a V Strom, so I did the more logical thing and just got one. I love the SV for what it is, a very fun, sporty bike, and I think trying to turn it into something it's not will ruin it's good qualities. I wish I could have kept both.

·
Banned
307 Posts
sport-bike touring

Folks,
Right now I have the SV1000S. Its a great bike, but kills me on longer runs ie 2-3 hours. My question-do I spend a small fortune converting the bike, bars, pegs, seat to make a bit more comfy or do I part ex for the Vee. I did have a 2003 model for a bit but found it very comfy but a bit sluggish. Are the newer ones a bit sharper. Any thoughtd out there??:weapons_90:
IMHO, sport-bikes fixed up for touring are cool. buddy uses SV1000S for touring and he digs it. but, i'm to tall for sport-bike. i need the ergo's of DL1000.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
My question-do I spend a small fortune converting the bike, bars, pegs, seat to make a bit more comfy or do I part ex for the Vee.
Closer you stay to stock, the easier it is to move to another bike. The conversion is fine, if you plan to keep it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Howdy all,

An aussie over here with a question or 2 (that has probably been answered a thousand times... this thread seemed reasonably close to my question...)

I'm getting around on an 02 SV650 at present, and whilst I love my bike, I find I'm a little cramped, my knees start to ache after an hour in the saddle, and my wife/pillion doesn't like spending more than 100km at a time on the back.

I'm about 6', so not super tall, but I have long legs. Can anyone tell me how the Wee-Strom would go as a replacement for the SV? Am i going to encounter the same problems? Or are the pegs actually placed in a nice spot that isn't going to cripple me? (actually, the tank is probably the biggest drama... my knees don't quite fit into the flange.... )

Thanks heaps guys!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
HI,

I had the thou, but because of the different engine set up it just felt sluggish, particularly at low revs, which I since learned a power commander would have fixed duh
Why limit yourself to the "V"..., especially if you don't like sluggish? How about the Bandit 1250? All the power and comfort you could ever want...

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Howdy all,

An aussie over here with a question or 2 (that has probably been answered a thousand times... this thread seemed reasonably close to my question...)

I'm getting around on an 02 SV650 at present, and whilst I love my bike, I find I'm a little cramped, my knees start to ache after an hour in the saddle, and my wife/pillion doesn't like spending more than 100km at a time on the back.

I'm about 6', so not super tall, but I have long legs. Can anyone tell me how the Wee-Strom would go as a replacement for the SV? Am i going to encounter the same problems? Or are the pegs actually placed in a nice spot that isn't going to cripple me? (actually, the tank is probably the biggest drama... my knees don't quite fit into the flange.... )

Thanks heaps guys!
I have only sat on a SV a couple of times. No extended riding experience on one. I am a tall fellow and I have never felt cramped on my DL 650. I do enjoy stretching my legs at fuel stops but never any knee pain and I have plenty of arthritis in both knees.

My butt cramped after 45 min in the original saddle but a gel seat and sheepskin pad fixed that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the V-Strom 650 and while I can't speak for either 1000, I loved my little SV650S. It is one of the more comfortable sport bike's out there, and it is lots of fun to ride like a slow sport bike.

The Strom is a bit sluggish feeling but once you get used to it, you might love the dirt bike riding position.

I have the DL650 and a CBR1000RR and I still miss the times I had on my SV. Someone said it is like a toy. That's exactly what it was, a fun little toy. Now I feel like I ride grown up bikes. Still fun, just not the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, just took a Wee-strom out for a run and absolutely loved it!

After spending an hour in the saddle of the SV to get there, the seating position was heavenly!! (Anything more than an hour at a time on the SV and you're not going to be sitting right for a week....)

I think i'm sold. One question i did have as this was a second hand 06 I was looking at - how soft should the brake lever be? I had a lot of movement to get the brakes doing their job - at least twice what I'd use on the SV. Is the V-Strom that much heavier??

·
Registered
528 Posts
The brakes should feel similar to the SV. Perhaps fresh brake fluid and bleed will fix the difference.

I had an 00' SV naked and loved it, toured Route 66 (6000 miles) without issue...went to a BMW R 1100 RT great bike but too heavy for these old worn out knees (and very expensive to own) , now I am on the Wee and am happy as a cat in a sand box. I can not see owning anything else.

Get the Wee, you will not be disappointed!

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well, just took a Wee-strom out for a run and absolutely loved it!

THat's all it took for me. One 10 mile run on my friends 07Wee and I went in and traded my VTX1300C for a 08 Wee.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I rode about 600 miles over two days with this fellow (ADKBEEMER) SV650 at Cromag.

It's a lot smaller and rides a lot harder. The DL650 can be ridden for many hours.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Stormboy,

I have always felt that the Vee brakes were spongee... I have bleed the lines, flushed the fluid... really just a design thing.

However, if you squeeze they stop.

If you were to ride it off road, having "not the grabbiest brakes" would be a benefit.

·
Banned
56 Posts
dl 1000

Folks,
was going to get the sv 1000 it is a sharper looking bike. with the full fairing but im getting older . if you dont mind the 20 hp sacrafice the vstrom is bigger more upright position . its up to you. i would love to have an sv 1000 it just does not feel the same. i like my feet under me not behind or out front this was the main reason for getting the dl

1 - 20 of 20 Posts