StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I bit the bullet and bought a SV 1000 clutch off of Ebay. it was a good price and I have always been curious what the "back torque limiting" aka slipper would feel like so when I saw one for a good price I nabbed it. Are there any special tools I need to complete the swap?

I also need to replace the plates in it and was wondering if it would make more sense to buy a whole rebuild kit such as a barnett or if plates are enough.

Just slightly apprehensive about pulling my bike apart just before good riding weather hits and having it apart for a while because I overlooked something obvious.

Any help/advice would would be greatly appreciated. This is my first thread by the way so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
You should have no problem with the swap. Go to the maintanence,tech and farkel form and then to the maintanence how to. There is a sticky there with all the info you need. Good luck

Rich

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should have no problem with the swap. Go to the maintanence,tech and farkel form and then to the maintanence how to. There is a sticky there with all the info you need. Good luck

Rich
Thanks I figured the info was out there somewhere around here, Thanks!:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I did it. It was easy and no special tools just the usual motorcycle repair type stuff. As to the plates, they are the same as the DL, just minor differences. You reuse your DL plates, paying attention to those minor differences.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Special tools - you will need a torque wrench. The torque for the clutch hub nut is quite a bit less than the DL's, but I forget what it is off hand. Maybe someone else can chime in. When I did mine I timed it for when I would be changing the engine oil since it has to be out for the clutch cover to come off. Be sure to check the oil pump sump screen too. It slides out and back in. I suppose if your bike has a lot of miles on it, it would be a good idea to rebuild the water pump while you're in there. You can replace its 2 bearings, seal and mechanical seal in about 10 minutes. Please note that there are 2 bearings, not 1 like shown in the fiche.

The differences in the clutch plate may be more important than it might seem at first glance. Side by side, the SV and DL plates differ in the size of the wear pads on the plates. Suzuki picked a particular size pad to go along with the slipper function. I'd stay with the plates that are specific to the SV so that it will work as intended. If the plates that came with your clutch basket are warn, it's easy to check their specification using a dial caliper. Then, you can determine if they really need replacement or not. :) Oh, and if you replace them use OEM Suzuki plates.

·
Registered
498 Posts
More clutch tips

Be sure and order a new nut when you order your gasket, go and buy a cheap 1 3/16" socket and get a clutch basket holding tool, if you have access to air tools a 1/2" impact is real handy for taking the big nut off, but torque by hand on reassembly. I echo the clutch plate thing. remember there are different thicknesses of plates in a certain sequence. also take note that the first friction plate you remove is in it's own designated slot in the basket and is different that the others. this all sounds kinda complex but is fairly easy, pay attention to details as you pull it apart. just for the record I have a barnett clutch in and it works fine, I've had it out a couple of time while I have been modifying the basket to solve the chudder problem. I too have bought a used SV basket, but mainly to solve the chudder problem, which is does not do, mine began chuddering after a few thousand miles, just like a new one did. If I was you I would look into getting it modified before you put it in. but that's a whole nother thread!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for supplying me with all the info.

Bumblebee, is there a specific mod you are referring to for the sv 1000 clutch? is it like the welded in washer mod or something different? Also is the clutch holding tool a Suzuki specific part?

·
Registered
498 Posts
yea, something along those lines, I had some machine work done on mine to fasten the loose plates and installed shims. works like a new basket, but only time will tell if it will hold up. I think if I was putting in a used basket I'd at least have he shim mod done. there seems to be some pretty good data supporting the mods for the clutch basket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts