StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a Suzuki/Honda dealer (Everett Powersports in Everett, WA) today and next to the one new Strom on the floor was a sign stating the DL650 Strom is Suzuki's best selling motorcycle. Has anyone else of heard of this?

One other comment, the parts manager rides a Wee too as his everyday ride and has nothing but compliments about the bike.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Since dual-sport bikes are not even the best-selling category, I highly doubt the DL650 is Suzuki's best-selling bike in the US. It may be the best-selling in the dual-sport category, but even then I would think that the DRZ400 or the DR650 would out sell it due to their lower price. With the popularity of the Wee in Europe I suppose it's possible that it's their best-selling bike worldwide. It would be interesting to see worldwide sales figures.

edit: I found one source that says in 2010 it was the 13th best-selling bike in Italy and Suzuki's #1 seller.

Here's another interesting sales statistics link

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I've seen those hang tags.

It's a best-seller in it's class.

It's like being the prettiest one-legged, slack-jawed, hunchback in the county.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
That's complete and utter rubbish.
Suzukis best selling bike world wide will be something like a 50cc scooter or a 125cc two stroke that is only sold in Asia and will be selling 50x the numbers that V-Stroms sell worldwide.

Just for the benefit of those who think the USA is the centre of Suzukis world.

The USA accounted for just over 5% of Suzukis revenue in FY 2009.
Total sales of motorcycles in the USA were 51,000 units
Total sales of motorcycles in Europe were 102,000 units
Total sales of motorcycles in the South Asia region were 662,000 units.
Total sales of motorcycles in India were 189,000 units.
Total sales of motorcycles in China were 1,585,000 units.

v-Strom sales would be a decimal point in consigned to the margin for error caterogory.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
In the USA, cruisers outsell other models with sport bikes coming in second.

·
Registered
629 Posts
In the USA, cruisers outsell other models with sport bikes coming in second.
This. Cruisers outsell others by a long shot in USA! The purchasing power of the baby boomers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hmmm.
Makes me wonder how the profits on selling Suzuki cars compares with the bike profits.
A Wikipedia article on Suzuki states that they are the fourth largest car manufacturer in Japan, following Toyota, Nissan and Honda, and that for the sales year 2005-6, Suzuki accounted for 54% of automotive sales in India. I doubt their automotive division is hurting too badly.:fineprint:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Suzuki's most recent annual report (FY10-11):

http://www.globalsuzuki.com/corp_info/financialinfo/pdf/2011/2011-1.pdf

- they build about about the same volume of cars and motorcycles/scooters; just under 3 million of each.
- cars make up almost 90% of revenue, which makes sense since each car sold brings in about 10x more than a scoot or bike.
- In their largest markets, sub-125cc models outsell big bikes by more than 10 to 1
- North America is 3.8% of total revenue, including cars. That means that US/Canada motorcycles account for somewhat less than half a percent of Suzuki net sales.
- Ergo, selling us Vstroms is a hobby. :mrgreen:
- Ergo, saying that Vstroms are top sellers in their class is actually like saying it's the prettiest slack-jawed hunchback in the most far-flung BFE county in the land. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Suzuki's most recent annual report (FY10-11):

http://www.globalsuzuki.com/corp_info/financialinfo/pdf/2011/2011-1.pdf

- they build about about the same volume of cars and motorcycles/scooters; just under 3 million of each.
- cars make up almost 90% of revenue, which makes sense since each car sold brings in about 10x more than a scoot or bike.
- In their largest markets, sub-125cc models outsell big bikes by more than 10 to 1
- North America is 3.8% of total revenue, including cars. That means that US/Canada motorcycles account for somewhat less than half a percent of Suzuki net sales.
- Ergo, selling us Vstroms is a hobby. :mrgreen:
- Ergo, saying that Vstroms are top sellers in their class is actually like saying it's the prettiest slack-jawed hunchback in the most far-flung BFE county in the land. :mrgreen:
Good one. :mrgreen:

And thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Ah. No.
Suzuki cars are at the bottom end of the price range. I recently purchased a brand new Swift (1.4L 5 door hatch back, mid range spec) for my daughter for Aus$17,0000 drive away. Compare that with a Vee at around Aus$13.000 ride away.
In Australia 80% of Suzuki cars sold would be under Aus$20,000. The highest priced car available is in the mid $30k range which is about double the highest priced bike.

FYI the Suzuki car operation was what nearly drove them in bankruptcy a few years ago when VW stepped in and purchased 25% of the company.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I love the diversity

I love the diversity of discussion topics and knowledge resources available on this forum.

The data research and information input is great.

Thanks Kiwi, Greywolf and all the others who take the time post links and expound on data with their available knowledge.

Thanks everyone. :thumbup:

Now back to the current topic please.

I'm curious on how the Strom (Wee in particular) sells in the local market here in Oz, against other brands in the Adventure Touring bracket- presumably that is the sector they fall under.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
That's complete and utter rubbish.
Suzukis best selling bike world wide will be something like a 50cc scooter or a 125cc two stroke that is only sold in Asia and will be selling 50x the numbers that V-Stroms sell worldwide.

Just for the benefit of those who think the USA is the centre of Suzukis world.

The USA accounted for just over 5% of Suzukis revenue in FY 2009.
Total sales of motorcycles in the USA were 51,000 units//
Citation needed.

But given how severely we criticize Suzuki marketing, few think Suzuki is a big player in the US market. Prior to the crash, the market share numbers were:

Harley-Davidson 28%
Honda 25%
Yamaha 17%
Suzuki 13%
Kawasaki 11%
KTM 2%
BMW 1%
Triumph 1%
Ducati 1%

The Europeans have gained some ground post-crash. Suzuki lost a little but they are likely still vying with Kawasaki for 4th - except that Kawasaki has more new models.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! I never knew I would generate so many responses from reading a sign while buying new tires. You guys are great. BTW, I got to enjoy my Strom for a few miles today riding around in the cold.

Stay safe and warm.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ah. No.
Suzuki cars are at the bottom end of the price range. I recently purchased a brand new Swift (1.4L 5 door hatch back, mid range spec) for my daughter for Aus$17,0000 drive away. Compare that with a Vee at around Aus$13.000 ride away.
In Australia 80% of Suzuki cars sold would be under Aus$20,000. The highest priced car available is in the mid $30k range which is about double the highest priced bike.

FYI the Suzuki car operation was what nearly drove them in bankruptcy a few years ago when VW stepped in and purchased 25% of the company.
Obviously, I understand that Suzuki cars are at the low- and mid-market in Western nations. But like I said, the vast majority of their motorcycle sales are not Wees to adventure riders, but sub-125cc units to developing countries.

$17K might sound like a cheap car, but you can get a Suzuki Access 125 scooter in India for 50,000 rupees on the road, which is about 900 AUD. A decent 125-250cc motorcyle in China would be between 1000-2000 AUD. So exactly as the annual report implies, the bulk of their bikes bring in about 1/10 of what a typical Suzuki car nets across all global markets.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm curious on how the Strom (Wee in particular) sells in the local market here in Oz, against other brands in the Adventure Touring bracket- presumably that is the sector they fall under.
2011 Motorcycle Sales Figures Australian Retail - First Quarter

About 54 sold in Q1 2011, compared to 69 800 GSes, and 123 KLRs. Top seller across all types looks like some kind of Honda scooter (538 units) and the Ninja 250 (354 units). Interesting stats.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
2011 Motorcycle Sales Figures Australian Retail - First Quarter

About 54 sold in Q1 2011, compared to 69 800 GSes, and 123 KLRs. Top seller across all types looks like some kind of Honda scooter (538 units) and the Ninja 250 (354 units). Interesting stats.
Thanks Snow,

Looking through the other figures in the other sectors is interesting too.

The DR650 sells really well, I may have to look at finding one of those to replace the old KLR650 [but it will have to be a cheap old DR as well though :fineprint: ].

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I love the diversity of discussion topics and knowledge resources available on this forum.

The data research and information input is great.

Thanks Kiwi, Greywolf and all the others who take the time post links and expound on data with their available knowledge.

Thanks everyone. :thumbup:

Now back to the current topic please.

You are most welcome. I put a ton of work into making the obvious comparison between V-Stroms and the tragically disfigured. My keen insight and concise diction is often overlooked by the genetically under-endowed who regularly troll this forum in search of cheap thrills and masturbatory fodder. In honor of your just-revealed observational acuity, I will no longer call Mel Gibson the greatest Australian.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts