StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inviting everybody to share pictures / videos of their Vstrom OFF ROAD and pictures / videos of gravel terrains you've ridden your Strom, cause remember "if no pictures - it didn't happen" ;)
Here some from today's ride

·
Registered
2019 650xt. 2008 WR250F
486 Posts

lots of pictures of my WEE off road in my adventure thread check it out

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A small cordless chainsaw next time in your case? :p

And what happened there, nice wide and flat road, and she is laying down... is it a always, kickstand sunked in?

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
And what happened there, nice wide and flat road, and she is laying down... is it a always, kickstand sunked in?
First day of the TAT, a little hot in the inside of the corner, got off the gravel and just onto the brown(leaves on both sides of the road) & the front washed out. Rider error...stay outa the brown!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow, looks it's getting deeper, Do you have more pictures of that water crossing, how deep did it get, and was is slippery on the bottom?
It was getting deeper, but it only reached to a little below the reflector on the front fork; enough for water to pour into my boots. :(
And it was a bit slippery due to moss (or algae - I'm not a botanist) but, as always, the bike "doesn't want to crash" so I just kept a light grip and let it find it's way.

I don't have any other photos, I just have a bit of video (but it's kind of a PITA to upload it somewhere and link to it). Here is a still I captured from the video of the deepest part -- you'll see that it didn't get too deep. I wanted to go slow to reduce the splash, but I had to maintain momentum to avoid going for a swim.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@JonathanAU thank you for sharing, those are some great, great photos, Vstroms in the gravel, exploring the wilderness (great scenery).
Hard to watch that bike on the ground, but hey it's a part of the game, you guys are brave running those Batlax "street" tires on those rocks, are they 80/20? something in 50/50 would give you better traction.

How do you two ride to keep the dust under control, do you mostly "side-by-side" or close "one-two" formation ?

·
Registered
284 Posts
@JonathanAU thank you for sharing, those are some great, great photos, Vstroms in the gravel, exploring the wilderness (great scenery).
Hard to watch that bike on the ground, but hey it's a part of the game, you guys are brave running those Batlax "street" tires on those rocks, are they 80/20? something in 50/50 would give you better traction.

How do you two ride to keep the dust under control, do you mostly "side-by-side" or close "one-two" formation ?
Hi Damiro, either brave or idiots hahahaha, we just went to see how far we could go on those "only 4WD" track, I reckon we went far enough, literally to the point where my rear tyre could not get traction and I was spinning the wheel and going down the hill instead. I can also claim some lack of skills on those circumstances and lack of a support team to push the bike up the hill. It was all fun and pain.
I think we pushed the Batlax to the limit of our abilities, considering they are 90/10 , we really extend the 10 off road to about 50
After that trip (and a fractured rib), Gail changed her tyres to Motoz Tractionator GPS , and no long after I took her bike for a 3 days trip with nice off roading, I got sold in the first turn full of mud. With the battalax I would be skidding and clenching my buttocks, with the Motoz... cutting butter with a hot knife.
As you can imagine, I changed my tyres as well. Now we do off road with easy. Let me find some other photos with the Motoz

We usually ride with me at the front , scouting the terrain and Gail behind me. how far away?, depends on how long it takes the dust to move away , sometimes the wind helps and move the cloud sideways, other times we need more distance. No more than 250m I would say.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
@JonathanAU ...Great scenery, lots of fun ridding there, especially with other likeminded people, based on your pictures, others had more capable machines with better ground clearance, bigger front wheel etc. but the strom is no slouch, it's just more hard work.

I rode some gravel with a friend on his 650 last summer, but it's hard if you follow, the dust is just too much, so yes wind and rain actually help. Ridding solo deep into unknown trails is a risk and probably not very smart, but so far I managed to tackle all terrains without any spills (knock on wood) had many, many close calls but so far so good. This Saturday I ventured into unknown trails for a total of 15km, and at first they were wide enough for trucks and Jeep's then just wide for quads and then got narrow so it was a bit dicey, especially with a fallen tree across and no room to turn...am thinking of getting a small cordless chain saw for next time :D jk. At the end it was a true ADV experience, and now that I know the trail it will be easier next time.
...for sure tires are everything, I got my 650xa last Aug and it came with TKC80's and I loved the traction they provided, so I ventured deeper and deeper into single track "dirt bikes only" territory, last week got a new rear Mitas E07+ also great but TKC80 was better.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts