StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 5'8 with a 30 inch inseam is the Vstrom 650 going to be too tall for me or is it adjustable to my height? I have been doing some research on this bike and like what I have read I dropped my a Suzuki dealer and sat on one and it seemed to high for me. No one was around to tell me if the bike could be lowered etc. I was wondering if any of the Vstrom owners hear know the answer to this question.
TIA, Ed

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Ed,

The bike can be lowered, there are lowing links that can be installed in the rear suspention.

I purchased a spare seat which I carved some foam out of to enable my wife to ride the 'Strom. She's got a 30" inseam and there's about 1/2" of daylight under her bootheels when she sits on th bike.

Norm

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I am 5'8 with a 30 inch inseam is the Vstrom 650 going to be too tall for me or is it adjustable to my height? I have been doing some research on this bike and like what I have read I dropped my a Suzuki dealer and sat on one and it seemed to high for me. No one was around to tell me if the bike could be lowered etc. I was wondering if any of the Vstrom owners hear know the answer to this question.
TIA, Ed
I have the same measurements and can flat foot the 650. But I weigh 230LBS. Gravity helps. :p

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
But wait, there's more!

For no charge, you can also lower the front end about 3/4 inch.

There is a safe procedure (which I do not know) whereby you can loosen some bolts, slide the front fork tubes up a tad, and then tighten the bolts.

Some say that it is important to adjust the front and rear suspension by equal amounts, so I recommend you research the entire project, which you can probably do in a few minutes with the "Search" function.

By the way, my inseam is 30", and I have not adjusted the suspension of either end. I put both feet flat on the ground, and I have ridden my Wee-Strom over 28000 miles in two years. It is generally carrying immense loads of camping gear and luggage, which make it topheavy but do not otherwise bother it or me.

Good luck in your quest for a good ride. I find the Wee-Strom ideal.

Keith

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I have the same measurements and can flat foot the 650. But I weigh 230LBS. Gravity helps. :p
I guess that's the difference.

So should I feed my wife a high-carbohydrate diet so she could ride my bike?

·
Registered
483 Posts
FWIW,

I have a 32" inseam, and can flat-foot my 650 with both feet, my knees still slightly bent. Seat is stock (for now). For commuting, I have the suspension set right in the middle. I set the preload higher for road trips, but don't recall it having much affect, if any, on my ability to flat-foot it. If my inseam was two inches shorter, I imagine I would be on the balls of both feet at stops. I rarely put both feet down regardless.

IIRC, I remember seeing somewhere that the seat can also be lowered slightly by cutting off the rubber bumpers on the bottom; anyone else remember seeing that?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I think people measure their inseams differently or wear realllllllllllly short pants often. I am only a 30" but with what I finally figured out are stock links on both my K4 and son's K5 bikes are easily flatfooted. Stock seats ,mid range settings...great bikes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
too tall

I am 5'6.5" and about 140 lbs... I like my bike nice and tall.. if I lean over I can almost get the ball of my foot on the ground, other wise I use a strong big toe to lean on. I would not lower the bike, it is too low as it is.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm 5'9" with a 30 inch inseam, and even with 3/4inch lowering links plus 3/4inch drop in the front forks I can't come close to flat-footing the bike. Since I put the lowering links in, I can get the balls of my feet down, but that's it. When I come up to stops I usually only put my left foot down, and keep the right one on the brake.

I could still ride it fine before lowering, but backing up was very difficult.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm 5'8 with a 30 inseam and I weigh in at 135lbs and have no problem with the height of the bike,I can almost flat foot the bike,but mainly I'm on the balls of my feet,as someone mentioned the only time this could be a problem is in backing up the bike,outside of that you should be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts