StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a problem with my wee in that there is an incredible wind noise. If I lower my head about 3", then it stops, so the reason is an ineffective stock windshield. I was thinking about getting the Vario screen from Suzuki with the adjustable flap to control the airflow. Does this stop the windnoise? I am going to be severely pissed if I get this and I still have major windnoise. I know that these are on the adventure bikes, so I am looking for anybody that can give me input on this and if this windscreen is effective in reducing wind noise. Thanks in advance, and yes, I have tried moving the stock windshield up and down, and this does no good.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Same here, but before buy the Vario, i will try to change the angle of the stock one.
I dont know when, 4 degree and rain this morning here. But i will follow up when done.
I would appreciate too input from someone who has the Vario.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same here, but before buy the Vario, i will try to change the angle of the stock one.
Angle?, you mean height. I have tried and it does absolutely no good. I got it in the highest position now, and it does no good what-so-ever. Kind of makes me think why Suzuki added this feature:confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
windscreen

I have the adventure bike but do not have that many miles on it but it seemed ok for summer but my bike is now at cee baileys windshields. I am getting one of their perfect storms windshield. Mine will be the prototype and after that production. when traveling especially when it is cool I need more protection and this shield will give me a bubble of still air with no buffecting.

Respectfully Doug

·
Registered
833 Posts
Angle?, you mean height. I have tried and it does absolutely no good. I got it in the highest position now, and it does no good what-so-ever. Kind of makes me think why Suzuki added this feature:confused:
No i really meant the angle ( more or less vertical) i know there is no ajustment for this but i will find a way to do it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Rubber faucet washers under the lower screen points are a thought.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hi, I have a problem with my wee in that there is an incredible wind noise. If I lower my head about 3", then it stops, so the reason is an ineffective stock windshield. I was thinking about getting the Vario screen from Suzuki with the adjustable flap to control the airflow. Does this stop the windnoise? I am going to be severely pissed if I get this and I still have major windnoise. I know that these are on the adventure bikes, so I am looking for anybody that can give me input on this and if this windscreen is effective in reducing wind noise. Thanks in advance, and yes, I have tried moving the stock windshield up and down, and this does no good.
The Suzuki Vario screen really isn't much taller than stock, and is not worth what they want for it $$$$$ the MRA Xcreen will adjust up more and works fairly well, I'm 6'6" so I need a really tall screen. Before you buy one I would just buy the wing part itself, and bolt it to the stock windshield, save yourself some money. The new model Givi looks like it may be better-if it doesn't melt your dash like the old ones did, I'm waiting on National Cycle to come out with another V-Stream like I had on my old Vee, best money I spent on a Strom, next to a mirror replacement.Cheers--BB

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have 800 miles on my Adventure and have played with the adjustment using all the tricks I know and the best I could do was getting the airflow to hit me about 3 inches below the top of my helmet. At that level there was no real buffeting however and the positive is that it is just enough airflow to hit my helmet vents. I will say this windscreen has some wind noise. The whistling can be annoying.

I am 6' 225 and have a 32 inch inseam. In a perfect world I would want another 3 inches or so on the screen.

The majority of the buffeting I get seems to be from the airflow around the mirrors in their stock position.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have 800 miles on my Adventure and have played with the adjustment using all the tricks I know and the best I could do was getting the airflow to hit me about 3 inches below the top of my helmet. At that level there was no real buffeting however and the positive is that it is just enough airflow to hit my helmet vents. I will say this windscreen has some wind noise. The whistling can be annoying.

I am 6' 225 and have a 32 inch inseam. In a perfect world I would want another 3 inches or so on the screen.

The majority of the buffeting I get seems to be from the airflow around the mirrors in their stock position.
The Suzuki screen has different arms on the wing and doesn't adjust up as far or out as the Xcreen, I think Twisted Throttle may be able to get you the Xcreen arms themselves, they are the only importer of MRA in the US I've found, you are correct about the mirrors, I've already changed mine and it did more than the windshield. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
255 Posts
hmmm...if the Vario isnt that good, then I'm really starting to sway towards the Givi AF3101 Airflow Adjustable Screen now. Seems you can set that really high as well as really low for city driving. And its also easy to adjust.

It's my next accessory purchase for sure!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I feel your pain!

I've recently fitted an x-creen but not as good as I'd hoped but still lots of settings to play with.

Am riding with a shoei qwest (better than my previous caberg) but wondering how much wind noise the mirrors are adding...

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have the Canadian Adventure model with the Suzuki Vario screen. In the highest position it is maybe only 1 inch taller than the standard screen and I have it moved forward from the windscreen, leaving the screen in the middle position. I am 6ft, 32 inch inseam and don't have a whistling sound (what speed are you experiencing this...much of my 500 miles riding so far has been under 65mph). I wonder if this is possibly an issue with your helmet?
Ken

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Twisted Throttle sells just the wing itself, you drill 4 holes and bolt it on. Cheers--BB
I phoned them and the wing costs $129.99 + shipping for the bolt on and $149.99 + shipping for the clamp on. I would only pay $202 for the Suzuki Vario Screen from my dealer, so once you add the shipping for the wing, there is not enough difference to worry about, I just as may get an entire windshield with the wing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the Canadian Adventure model with the Suzuki Vario screen. In the highest position it is maybe only 1 inch taller than the standard screen and I have it moved forward from the windscreen, leaving the screen in the middle position. I am 6ft, 32 inch inseam and don't have a whistling sound (what speed are you experiencing this...much of my 500 miles riding so far has been under 65mph). I wonder if this is possibly an issue with your helmet?
Ken
I do not have the Vario Screen, so if you do not have any issues, then that may be the trick. I have a Bell Vortex helmet. It is known to be noisy with the vents open, but all my vents are closed.

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ken
With mine it it at lower speeds usually between 10 mph and around 40 mph. Not the helmet. I have 3 different helemts I always try on each bike and the noise is present with all of them. I think it is just the angle I have it set at.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
hmmm...if the Vario isnt that good, then I'm really starting to sway towards the Givi AF3101 Airflow Adjustable Screen now. Seems you can set that really high as well as really low for city driving. And its also easy to adjust.

It's my next accessory purchase for sure!
Hopefully Givi got their act together on windshields, luggage-I like Givi, but in the past, some of the Givi windshields would melt your dash if you didn't park with the sun behind you! Cheers--BB

·
38,103 Posts
Hopefully Givi got their act together on windshields, luggage-I like Givi, but in the past, some of the Givi windshields would melt your dash if you didn't park with the sun behind you! Cheers--BB
It's the other way around. With the sun behind, the light would reflect off the concave surface coat and down onto the dash.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts