StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many years ago as a 15 year old my family had a holiday at Moruya on the NSW south coast.My elder brother lived locally and lent me his 90cc Suzi Honcho for the two full weeks,I explored all the dirt roads I could find dawn to dusk and had the most wonderful time on my own,my introduction to motorcycles.I would like my first project bike to be a TS90 Honcho 71-76 I think,please PM if you are aware of one possibly for sale,regards Windy.:yesnod:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Can't sell you one but I can show you a photo of mine that I used to ride to Secondary School and learnt to trail ride (and crash) on.
This photo was taken in November 1973 on the day the new owner was coming to collect it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's the one Kiwi and in orange I think it may have been the first model in 71,any hoo nostalgia has again defeated reason and I wan't one.:yesnod:way off line as a Vstrom specific forum albeit it is a suzi.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I think it might have been a 71 I brought it in December 72 second hand and had it for nearly 12 months then brought a new TS185L with alloy rims and a21" front wheel!
At my school they were like V-Stroms today there were about 6 of them they were the most popular single model bike.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Must admit I crossed the fence after that and a TY 175 bought heaps of fun,and then a mate got a 250 elsinore 73,the most unpredictable motorcycle,when that band kicked in it was stupid :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Must admit I crossed the fence after that and a TY 175 bought heaps of fun,and then a mate got a 250 elsinore 73,the most unpredictable motorcycle,when that band kicked in it was stupid :yesnod:

I went from the TS185 to a RL250

then to a TY175 (that's my little brother he would have been about 12 or 13 at the time)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Honcho

My first new bike was a TS90R purchased in about 1971. My parents were horrified that I was into bikes so they made sue I didn't ride on the road. I was a member of the Warwick Motorcycle Club and we had a scramble track at Morgan Park, this is where I learnt to ride. I rode the Honcho for 2 years in motocross events in SE Qld, places like Tivoli and Flagstone Creek. My claim to fame was being passed/lapped by Greg Hansford on his 400 Maico.
I had the factory expansion chamber on the bike and ran it on AVGAS. The ports were polished as I couldn't afford the full factory kit. There were lots of hot little bikes back then like the Kawaski Trail Boss that also had a hot up kit available. I sold my Honcho when I was at college and the new owner managed to blow it up whilst riding into town he was doing 70mph the rotary disc disintergrated. This bike cemented my love for Suzuli reliability and it's one of the reasons I still ride them. My race number was 560.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just had a google on the TS 90 Honcho re- maybe a basket case for sale and behold a link to my post on the ST site,amazing how things flag :confused:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What great old pics Kiwi,TY yammies would climb cliffs,well almost--ta for the memories,years of family things to the strom,motorcycles.:thumbup:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Windy if you happen to come across an electric start Honda SL 350 circa 1971 -73 could you give me a shout? I just missed a kick-start version up at Ipswich a fortnight ago, fully restored with a heap of spares, about $5500!!! An original unrestored electric start should be about $4K tops. More my budget.

Good luck with your search ...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will keep a lookout Don,I have just had a new shed built at home with plenty of room and decided a project bike would be a good interest/therapy,Oh by the way,very lucky in "0" one some very poor decisions cost the Blues,may well be a different story in Sidenee,:thumbup::mrgreen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts